FOUR

After that, Ton and I became closer and closer, and being here did feel like I was part of a family. I felt happier than I had in months. One night. Well, it was past midnight. I couldn't sleep. I felt uneasy. And I didn't understand why.

I moved to sleep positions, so now I was facing Ton. He looked so peaceful in his sleep and it was the only time he was quiet. As my eyes adjusted to the brightness of the moon glaring down on me, I noticed that his headphones were practically strangling him in his sleep and some music was still playing from them.

I slowly popped up in bed and stretched my arms and legs which gave out a huge popping noise. I placed my bare feet on the carpet. Before I could even attempt to untangle the headphones around his neck, an unusual sound crept up on me from the window.

My head whipped around and before I knew it, I was rapidly pacing towards the window. My curiosity got the better of me. The luminous opal light of the moon was suddenly overthrown by the bright car lights making its way up the driveway.

I sat there, so intrigued. Waiting for anything to satisfy my curiosity.

Cautiously, a young girl, most likely my age, with dark brown hair stumbled up from the car.

And for no apparent reason at all, she stared up at me. Intrigued. Her bright eyes glistened. And then I realised. The moon could not compete with her smile. Or the sun with her eyes. Because I'd never seen an angel, so close, until tonight.