TWELVE

Cal took a spare apron and tied it around my waist.

"Remind me why we have to wear these again?" I sighed.

"Because they make us look more presentable. My father liked to keep things traditional," he replied.

"But it makes me look like a right tosser!" I groaned.

"Mind the language!" he said, pulling the string of the apron tighter.

I coughed. "Okay, okay, I get it, I'll wear the bloody apron!" I joked.

"Just please, loosen the string before you kill me!"

He laughed.

"Now turn around and let me see you," he said.

I gave a pose.

"Aw, you look great!" he exclaimed, rubbing his palms together.

"So, what days will I work?"

"I only need you two or three times a week."

"Thank you so much," I answered.

"No problem."

"Will I be able to sample a few sweets now and again."

"Only if you do well today," he replied, jokingly.

He grabbed some boxes and stacked them on the shelf, and I stared at the door, waiting for someone to come in.

First came a woman and her daughter. I smiled at them.

"What can I help you with today?" I asked.

"Go on, ask him," the woman whispered in her ear.

"Could I have some strawberry sweeties?" she asked shyly, biting her lip.

"Of course," I replied. She gave me a huge grin.

I turned and grabbed the jar, and as I did so, it slipped through my fingers and fell to the floor, smashing and scattering sweets.

"Crap," I whispered to myself.

"One second, Miss..." I stuttered.

I turned around slowly to see the little girl trying not to laugh. I felt my cheeks flush. I'd never felt more embarrassed in my entire life.

"I'm so sorry Miss...I'll get some more straight away!" I said.

At that moment, Cal arrived at the door. He saw the broken jar and gasped.

"Eh, what happened here then?" he said, calmly.

I remained silent.

"If you come over here sweetheart, I'll fetch you some sweets. What was it you wanted?" he asked the little girl.

"Strawberries, please," she giggled.

"He's a bit clumsy ain't he," she whispered to her mum.

She stuck her tongue out at me when her mother wasn't looking.

"What the bloody hell happened here?!" Cal yelled as they left the shop.

I shook, genuinely scared. He had offered me a place to stay, which now looked in jeopardy.

"Cal, I'm sorry...honestly...I was just nervous and I was fumbling to get what she wanted...and I'm the clumsiest person in the world...and I understand that if you want me to go, I will," I stuttered.

He shook his head, unimpressed.

I sighed.

"Eh. Don't talk like that. I've got plenty of spare jars." He smacked my back.

"I'd never kick you out, okay? It's just your first day. I'll grab the dustpan and brush, and you go clean it up and I'll restock the jar. I'll see you in a bit."

"I genuinely am sorry Cal," I said.

"I know you are son," he replied, walking to the storeroom.

I threw the sweets in the bin, and picked one of the strawberries off of the floor, placed it in my mouth, and chewed it. I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't resist.

"Oi, you!" Cal said, clapping his hands.

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist," I mumbled, chewing the sweet.

"Plus, they'll just go to waste," I added, throwing more into my mouth.

He passed me the dustpan and brush, before placing a full jar of sweets on the shelf.