FORTY-ONE

Poppy came back the next afternoon, dragged me to the cinema, and everything felt great. Like I was stuck in the dark for the whole of my life, and she was the light that guided me in this new chapter.

In the gloom of the cinema, I could slightly see Poppy. I saw the brief outline of her slim body, and I could make out the shape of her face. I felt the presence of her hand on my knee, in search of mine. I smiled, before realising that she couldn't see it, and held her hand. She picked my hand up a few times, and kissed it, before sighing. It sent a shiver down my body.

I had always thought there was something romantic about the cinema. You can only rely on touch, which makes it a strange experience if you are with someone you like. You can't see each other, or if you can, barely make out their face in the darkness, which does strangely heighten your feelings for them. You only rely on touch; your shoulders accidentally bumping into each other, a small handhold, a kiss. It's wonderful. It makes every other sense feel a million times better.

But with all the time I spent with Poppy, which isn't much, she felt different today. Even in the darkness of the cinema, I could feel that something wasn't right. Something was wrong with her. I could just...feel it. I tried to give her a look, to show her I think somethings off, but she just shrugged and focused her attention back onto the film. I knew something was up.

"So... what did you think of it?" Poppy asked after leaving the cinema, slurping her drink.

"Yeah... it was... great," I said. I still couldn't shake the thought of something being wrong with her, and I was afraid she wasn't telling me something. I wanted to ask her if something was up, but I felt as if it were the wrong time because she was so excited. I didn't want to spoil the moment.

She gasped. "Are you joking? Just great? The special effects were amazing, Finn." She squeezed my hand tightly.

I chuckled. "It was a wonderful first experience I got to spend with you."

She opened her mouth widely as if trying to imitate a jaw drop. "You've never been to see a film before?... like at a cinema?"

I shook my head. "Nope."

"Well that is crazy," she said. "I am honoured."

"It is an honour to spend any time with me," I joked.

"Okay, okay. Don't get too cocky."

"Popstar, I was cocky when I met you," I laughed. "You knew what you were getting into."

"Well, I'm glad I took your cinema virginity," she giggled, "it was a pleasure."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't know what I'd do without you. You're a lifesaver."

She looked up at me. "You'd be quite lost..."

"That would've been the cheesiest thing you've ever said, Popstar. I'm glad I stopped you mid-sentence," I said, and she pouted. I then walked her back home, and then made my way back to Cal's, my head still filled with thoughts that she wasn't telling me something.

"Alright, son?" Cal asked as I walked through the shop door. "How was the film?"

"It was alright, I guess," I replied. I knew something was wrong with Poppy, but I didn't want to push how I was feeling onto Cal.

"That's fair enough," he said, putting on his coat.

"Where are you off?" I asked. "Is everything okay?"

He sighed. "Did I not mention it to you?"

I lowered my eyebrows. "Mentioned what?"

"My daughter rang earlier this afternoon. Lewis isn't feeling the best. She asked if I wanted to come up for a few hours," he replied, tying his shoelaces.

"Oh, um... will you be that long?" I asked.

"Only a few hours... maybe back at midnight... I'm not sure. It's just I don't see him as often as I'd like to. But I can stay if you need me-"

"God, no. Don't be stupid. Go spend time with Lewis... I'll be fine here," I interrupted.

"You sure? You don't seem like yourself," he said.

"I'm fine. I'm just tired... it's been a long day... I'll have a nap, and I'll feel much better," I said. As much as I hated lying to Cal, sometimes the truth was better not said.

"Promise?" he asked, sternly.

"I promise," I chuckled. "Tell Lewis I said get well soon."

"Will do," he said, before stepping outside.

"My phone number is on the counter if you need me... and there's a bowl of pasta in the fridge you can heat up in the microwave if you get peckish," he added, making his way to his car.

I locked the door and stepped into the kitchen. I boiled the kettle and grabbed a mug from the cupboard. When my tea was ready, I pulled out a chair in the kitchen and thought. I thought about Poppy, and how she didn't feel like herself today.

I took a sip of my tea, and thoughts started buzzing in my head. Did she even like me? Did she kiss me out of pity? Did something happen with her family? Did her family even like me? I know her brother didn't, but what about her dad? I hadn't even met him, and I already thought he hated my guts. I killed my thoughts and walked into my bedroom.

I put the hoodie that Poppy had bought me, and sat on my bed. I remembered when Poppy sat here, as I opened up to her about my Mum. I wondered whether or not she would do the same, and let me inside. Open me up to her world, her fears, her concerns, her secrets. I wondered whether or not I took things too fast with Poppy before my burning eyes slowly drifted off.

The storm outside was strong and brutal as if a representation of the war going on between my heart and head. I wanted to ask Poppy if everything was alright. But I didn't know if that would only make it worse. I loved her. I had decided that - I had known that for a long time. But I didn't want to rush in and make things worse. Poppy would decide in her own time if she felt the same. The storm in my head quieted the idea of Poppy feeling the same way as I did, and with that, I fell into a deep sleep.

I awoke to the sound of harsh banging on the front door. I opened my eyes quickly and rubbed them. Cal was home. I checked the time. It was 11 pm. Had I been asleep this long?

As I approached the front door, I felt the rain crash against the windows, like the sea crashing against the shores. The banging became louder and harsher.

I arrived at the door, and the knocks became harder, and stronger. I opened it and gasped. A girl stood at the other end of the door, her hair was tangled in knots, mascara dripped from her eyes, and her cheeks were blotchy and red.

"Poppy?" I gasped.