FIFTY-FIVE

Ton had convinced me to meet his new parents in the morning. He told me to look smart, and to make an effort. I grabbed my grey shirt, and black trousers, and swept my hair to the side. Ton adjusted my collar, and we walked downstairs into the meeting room.

The meeting room was very bare. I had been in there plenty of times. I met foster parents that never worked out, but I also stayed in the room with younger children who didn't want to go alone. There were two old-fashioned settees, covered in floral print, with a wooden table placed between them. The walls were painted in a disgusting cream colour, and there were cracks in the ceilings. Agatha came in, carrying a tray full of tea, and biscuits.

Ton and I sat down on one of the settees, and I dunked a custard cream into Ton's tea. It reminded me of Cal. I smiled and waited for Mr and Mrs Wilson to arrive.

Mrs Wilson came in first. She was very beautiful. She was a redhead. Her hair reminded me of a sunset, how it billowed over her shoulders. She had hundreds of freckles dotted around her face, and arms that complimented her hair. Her eyes were bright blue, and her smile was flawless.

"David is just parking the car," she said, giving a hug to Agatha. "How are you doing, Braxton?"

"I'm very good, Mrs Wilson," Ton replied.

She chuckled. "Oh, you can call me Lisa... and you are?" she asked, looking at me.

"Oh, I'm Finley - I'm Braxton's friend... You don't mind me being here, do you?" I asked, paranoid she would ask me to leave.

"Oh, god no," she said. "The more, the merrier." She laughed, and it reminded me of Poppy. I swallowed and grabbed another biscuit.

Mr Wilson then walked in. He had very dark hair and broad shoulders. His face was round, which matched his stomach. But he seemed really nice and caring.

"The parking around here is ridiculous!" he joked, his voice was really deep. "How are you doing, Brax?"

Ton nodded. "I'm really good - This is my friend, Finn," he added, pointing at me.

"Hi," I said, in the most awkward way possible.

"Great to meet you," David said, shaking my hand. "If only you were here last time... I would've adopted both of you. You both look great."

I laughed awkwardly. I wouldn't have wanted to leave, anyway.

"So... um... Braxton... We did your room for you... I knew you were really into your music... And I knew you liked The Beatles, so I incorporated that into the room," Lisa said, holding up a photo of his new room. It looked really nice. Ton smiled. He was happy. And I was happy for him.

"That looks... Amazing... Thank you so much, Lisa," Ton exclaimed.

"Do you like music, Finn?" David asked, genuinely curious.

"Um... I guess... I play the guitar," I muttered.

David's eyes lit up. "That's great. I play too."

I nodded. This was a day for Ton. Not me. I needed to bounce the conversation onto him.

"Braxton plays too... Only a little... But he does," I said, and Ton smiled awkwardly.

"That's... That's great," David said, and I smiled. I wanted Ton to be happy. I decided to leave the room, and let them on their own.