FORTY-FOUR

I awoke a few hours later. Not naturally, and certainly not because I wanted to. I awoke to the home telephone buzzing from the living room. I staggered up, sniffled, and walked towards it.

"Hello?" I said, my voice was still fragile, but I tried my best to sound as sane as possible.

"Hello? Is this Cae?" a woman said from the other end of the phone. "It's Denise. I'm Lewis' Mum."

"Is everything alright?" I asked, fearing the worst had happened.

"I'm at the hospital right now-"

"Oh my god, is Lewis okay?" I interrupted.

"Yes. He's fine. It's John - Mr Callaghan. He's had a heart attack. Doctor's say he's stable, but I want you to come and see him."

I couldn't say a word. I could only listen. My hand started shaking, causing my lip to tremble. I couldn't bring up the courage to say anything. I just stayed on the line, trying to understand that I might lose the closest thing I have.

"Cae? Are you there?" Denise asked. A silence permeated the phone line.

"Yes, I'm here," I answered, trying to hold back my tears.

"I'm not sure how fast you can get here... but I think he'd want you here," she stuttered.

"I understand," I said. I didn't know what else to say, so I hung up the phone and made my way to the bus stop.

I rest my head against the bus window. It buzzed against my temple. It soothed me. I tried to close my eyes, and relax, but I couldn't. After the argument with Poppy, and possibly losing Cal, my head was a mess. I shook my head and killed both of those thoughts. Things would be fine with Poppy and I. Cal was going to get better. I knew he was.

I reached into my bag and grabbed my bottle of water. It was old, and disgusting, and tasted horrible, but I had lost so much water in the past few days that anything would be able to satisfy my thirst. I took a few gulps, before shoving it back into my bag. The bus trip to the hospital was quite long, so I took the time to look through what supplies I had: four pairs of boxers, two t-shirts, three pairs of socks, a packet of salt and vinegar crisps, and an apple. I bit into the apple and then sighed. I was screwed.