TWENTY-NINE

Her eyes. As bright as a blazing star. Her face. Pale and bright, as if a reflection of the moon shining from above. Her hands. As delicate as a lily. Even in the daze, I could make her features out clearly. But she was still a mystery to me.

In a second, I was transported back to that night when I met the girl in the window. Except for this time she was in my bedroom lying on my lap. Her face was covered, but I could feel it was her. Through the gaps in her hair, I could see her bright eyes shining through, looking straight at mine. She smiled at me and I felt warm inside.

Although I couldn't move, at least enough to figure out how who she was, it was enough for me. I could touch her though. Only slightly. I could run my hand behind her hair, and I felt relief. I sighed. I couldn't speak. I couldn't ask who she was, or what she was doing here. I figured this was a dream of some sort. A reminder of my journey. I wish I could do more than only move my head slightly to check out my surroundings.

I tried to move, and my brain allowed it.

My room looked the same as I left it. Two bed opposite each other. One red, one blue. Ton's side was covered in posters and memorabilia. His bed wasn't made and was full of throw cushions. If you walked into the room, it was clear who tidied it up from the state of our sides. His chest of drawers was filled to the brim with band t-shirts and ripped jeans. I'm surprised that his chest of drawers didn't break in the time that I was there.

I turned around and saw Ton sat on his bed, with his headphones tangled around him. It was as if he were frozen in time, though. And like I was invisible to him. I knew calling out would be pointless, and trying to touch him was useless. I placed my hand out and it went straight through him like he was a ghost. I chuckled and focused back onto the girl. She was also unable to move as if she were here only to remind me of my past and not alter my quest.

I then walked over to the window. It was open, and as I stared down, I saw her again looking up at me. But when I glanced over to check if she was still at the floor, she still was. It was as if I were in a movie, watching different scenes of my life take place. I smiled, recalling how the moment I saw her was one of the best moments of my life.

Something caught the corner of my eye and when I looked I spotted myself in the mirror, and I was eleven years old again. It didn't surprise me really, considering this event happened when I was eleven, so there's no surprise I'd be that age in my dream. It fascinated me to see me that way. We barely took photos and I'd almost forgotten what I looked like.

I moved back towards the girl, thinking my dream would at some point end, and I'd be forced back to the truth, that this was all a mystery. I placed her head back onto my lap and began to cry. My decisions this far had been down to her, and if I never find her, I wonder if I'll ever feel complete.

I looked back at the girl who was sat upright. She placed her arms around me and I held her tightly, hoping this moment would last forever. Yet, I couldn't see her face. The only thing I wanted the most. I tried my hardest to call out to her and ask what her name was, but it was no use. I felt my time fading and I felt her fading away from me. My cheek burned as I was transported back to reality.

"I am Charlie Jenkins. I am fourteen years old. I play the guitar. Who the hell are you?" Charlie started laughing, smacking me on the cheek, the culprit for my burning sensation.

"What?" I muttered, adjusting my eyes to the brightness of his room.

"You kept saying 'who are you?' in your sleep-"

"You nodded off, dude," Blaidd added, nudging me with an Xbox controller.

"Oh...okay," I groaned, rubbing my eyes.

"Where's everyone gone?" I asked.

"Oh, Alana left a few hours ago-" Charlie said.

"Hours?" I interrupted, feeling bad that I didn't say goodbye.

"And Josh is in the toilet."

"Ah cool," I said, grabbing for my can of Pepsi.

"Wait. What time is it?" I asked.

"I don't know, like 3, maybe?" Blaidd replied.

"Shit. I need to get back to Cal's. Tell Josh I said bye. It was super cool meeting you both,"
I said, grabbing my bag.

"Oh, yeah...you two...we should hang out again sometime," Blaidd said.

"Definitely," Charlie nodded, "you're a pretty cool guy."

"Same goes...can you tell Josh that I'll see him soon and that I'm sorry I wasn't here to say goodbye?" I asked, walking towards the door.

"Oh yeah, no problem..." Blaidd said. He was too focused on his game to look at me though, "I hope to see you around..."

"And you," I said, as I left.

On my way home, I thought about that night. About that girl. Even though it was nearly five years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday. I recalled my dream. The details about her were still so vague. My feelings for her are confused. As are my feelings for Poppy Starr. But I have to keep that girl in my window in mind. I mean, she's the whole reason I am here after all. If you think about it, the tales of events that have happened since leaving is down to her. But Poppy Starr has come into my life now, and I don't know who to fight for anymore.