THIRTY-SEVEN

I finished polishing the counters and sweeping the floor for him. I thought about Poppy and her recital tomorrow. I thought about what I was going to wear, and how I'd even get there. I tried to get my mind off of it by playing the guitar, but it was out of tune, and I didn't have Poppy's tuner on her phone. So I just sat in the kitchen and waited for Cal. When he arrived, I told him about Poppy's singing recital tomorrow and explained that I had nothing to wear. He then asked me to come to his bedroom.

I had never been inside Cal's bedroom before. It was much bigger than mine, and the walls were painted in a dark, mustard colour. The furniture in the room were all solid wood, and the bed was neatly made. On every wall were black and white, smiling pictures of Cal, his wife, and their three children. On the nightstand was an old leather back copy of Pride and Prejudice, and a glass of water. I sat on the bed, anxiously waiting to see what Cal would bring me.

He opened the large wardrobe that stood in the corner of the room, and after digging around in it, he pulled out a large, leather bag. He placed it on the bed and unzipped it. Inside was a dark suit and tie that had been kept in mint condition. It was crisp, and inside the front pocket was a scarlet handkerchief. I pulled it out of the bag, put it up to my body, and looked in the mirror.

"It's perfect," I said.

"I knew it would be needed one last time," Cal replied, smiling to himself, "wore it the first time I met my wife," he smiled to himself.

"I'm sure she loved it," I smiled.

"And your Poppy will love it too," he replied.

"No, I can't wear it now...knowing it means so much to you..." I flustered.

"Don't be silly...I had an amazing love story that I'll remember until the day I die. Now it's your turn," he said, handing it to me.

"Thank you, Cal. I appreciate you so much..." I sighed.

"If I had a pound every time you said that," he laughed.

"I know, I know...it's just you've done so much for me and honestly I don't know where I'd be without you."

"That's alright, son. You go try the suit on. I'm making myself a cup of tea. You want one?"

"No, it's fine," I said, and he walked into the kitchen.

The suit was cold on my skin, but it fit perfectly. I had never worn anything like this before, I had never seen myself in a suit. Of course, I had older relatives, and they passed away, but I was too young to understand death, and I never went to their funerals. I wonder if I would've worn something like this. After inspecting the suit, and getting approval from Cal, I changed back into my hoodie and jeans, grabbed a hanger from Cal's wardrobe, and went back to my room.

I thought about Poppy. I thought about holding her hand. I thought about kissing her. Oh, how badly I wanted to kiss her. But amongst the good thoughts, came the bad ones; I thought about what Josh told me, about Poppy having feelings for Ben Smith. Or did she? Feelings for someone can change, I know that for a fact, I just hope I can be the person to change them. But out of everyone in the world why did she have to fall for him?

During the day, I mostly helped Cal around the shop; I restocked the shelves, filled up a few jars, and cleaned the counters. Certainly, I didn't need to help him, but I wanted it to be the night. So I could see Poppy, and hear her sing. Charlie and Blaidd came into the shop during my break. We sat in my bedroom and spoke.

"We doing anything tonight?" Charlie asked, grabbing a can of Pepsi from his bag and guzzling it down. I swear that must be the only thing he drinks.

"Oh... I... um..." I flustered. "I have a thing."

"A thing?" Charlie asked, raising his eyebrows, he knew something was up.

"Yeah... um... Cal... Mr Callaghan told me to look after the shop for him..." I replied. I was not a very good liar.

Blaidd snorted. "Cut the shit. We know you've got a date tonight!" He grabbed the can from Charlie and took a huge swig.

I sighed and cupped my face in my hands. "First of all, how do you know I'm going out tonight. And secondly... it's not a date."

Blaidd laughed. "Josh told us - he's shit with keeping secrets by the way. And yes it is a date-"

"That Poppy girl isn't it?" Charlie interrupted. "Seems nice enough."

I nodded my head awkwardly. "I guess?"

"Look dude... if you're wearing a suit like that - it's a date," Blaidd pointed at the suit hung up on my door, and looked at me seriously.

"I guess it is..." I said, and they both looked at each other and grinned.

I rolled my eyes. "She likes Ben Smith though, doesn't she?" I asked.

"Oh, so you do like her?-" Charlie said, his grin getting bigger.

"That's not what I meant-" I puffed.

"Course you didn't." He took another sip of his Pepsi and threw it in the bin in the corner of the room.

"Finn, if you're worried about Ben Smith... I mean you shouldn't. He's a piece of shit. End of story. He flirts with girls just to make other girls jealous. Dick move if I say so," Blaidd said. I wondered if he ever did that to Poppy.

"Bleddyn. That is probably the first true thing you have ever said," Charlie chuckled, and Blaidd glared at him.

"Thanks for the confidence boost?..." I smiled awkwardly.

"You sure you can't come out today?" Charlie asked. "Josh is coming too."

"I wish I could, but I need to help Mr Callaghan around the shop," I sighed.

"Okay, but if you change your mind, but I doubt you will... we'll be down my house," Charlie said, moving towards the door.

"Thanks," I said. "I promise I'll see you guys soon."

"You owe it. You fell asleep last time," Blaidd added, crossing his arms.

"Ouch. Yes. I'm sorry about that." I looked down at the floor.

"Don't worry, Dude. I don't blame you," Blaidd said. "Hanging out with this boring piece of shit." He pointed at Charlie, and Charlie punched him playfully.

"You cheeky fuck," Charlie laughed, and Blaidd yelped. He sounded like a dog in pain.

Charlie walked out of the room and waved. Blaidd stayed behind.

"Look. You don't need to worry about Ben. You're a good person, he's not. Just have fun tonight - but not too much," Blaidd winked, and I punched him playfully.

"God why is everyone such a dick to me today?" he said to himself.

"Because you are a dick!" Charlie yelled from the other room. Blaidd pouted before leaving. I chuckled, and threw myself back onto the bed, thinking of what would happen tonight.