FIFTY-TWO

I awoke to Ton shaking me. "Finn, you have to wake up. She knows. She knows the file is missing."

My eyes shot open. "What? How?"

Ton laughed. "I'm only messing with you! I told you I'd get you back for waking me up like that last night."

"Oh, you dickhead!" I threw my pillow at him.

"Agatha's made breakfast... I know how angry you get when you don't eat."

I rolled my eyes, and Ton left the room.

I looked through my chest of drawers, in search of something new to wear. Usually, I would've just put on an old hoodie, and jeans, but I felt different today. I found a bright blue t-shirt that I hadn't worn in years, and I paired it with a pair of dark shorts. I brushed my teeth, before heading downstairs.

"And he's returned!" Marley yelled, buttering his toast. "Great to see you, again."

"Likewise," I replied, taking a seat, and grabbing a pancake.

"So, what was it like?" Marley asked.

"Meh. It was okay. I'm glad I'm back now," I asked.

"If only I knew that's why you were packing all of that food... I would've come with you - No offence, Agatha," Marley joked.

Agatha sighed. "None taken... I think."

I laughed. "It was fun, though. I met up with friends I hadn't seen in years."

"Like who?" Marley asked, sipping his orange juice.

"Josh," I replied.

"Oh... I know," he said.

"The one with the super hot sister," Ton and Marley said, in perfect unison.

I sighed, pouring maple syrup over my pancakes.

After breakfast, I went back to my room and sat in the window seat. It had felt like I hadn't sat here in years. I leaned my head against the window and thought about Poppy. She was the girl I had seen all of these years ago. She was the reason that I left in the first place, but she was also the reason I returned. I stared at my bag and realised it would be wrong to read through her file. I had to return it.

Regardless of how our relationship ended.