FOURTEEN

I stared at him in disbelief. What had become of him? The Joshmyster I remember would never do something like this.

"Finn... Do you think you could let go? I'm kind of choking here," he joked.

I backed away from him. I didn't know what to do. It had been years since I last saw him, and this is not how I pictured us reuniting.

"Jesus, Finn. It's only me! I'm not going to kill you, for god's sake!" he shook the broken glass from his hoodie, and stared at me.

I gulped, and he clutched me tightly.

"I've missed you," I mumbled.

"Me too, Finn. Me too," he replied. "God, you've changed... Look at your hair... It's so poofy." He ruffled my hair and chuckled.

I chuckled. "Wish I could say the same... You haven't changed at all... You're still tall as fuck."

He rubbed his back and brushed the dirt off of his jeans. "You've got one hell of a grip on you, Green, didn't picture you to turn out to be a work out guy," he joked.

"And I didn't picture you to turn out to be a thief," I replied, bluntly.

"Touché."

"Why did you do it J? You've done it twice." I asked as we walked.

He looked down at his feet.

"Come on, you're better than this. I know you are."

He looked at me.

"Is it...Alana? Did something happen between you when I was away?-"

"Do not say her name," he interrupted, angrily.

"God, fine, don't tell me! But it's the last time, okay. Cal's - Mr Callaghan is a good man. He doesn't deserve this. He's done so much for me," I said, sternly.

"Of course it is... And he is a good man. And your right, he doesn't deserve this," he sighed.

I nodded. We walked further into town. "So...fancy a smoothie?" he asked as we passed a small café.

I shook my pockets. "I'm trying to save money."

"On me," he added.

"Go on then, tropical fruit, please," I replied.

"No problemo," he said, walking into the café.

What was I going to do? I know at one point he'll ask about my new "parents" and everything. But what would I say? What about "Hey Josh, guess what? I ran away, and the man who you stole from is letting me live in his home. Sweet, eh?"

But what had happened between Alana and him? Did they end up together? Something was wrong, and I had to find out.

"There you go pal," he said, passing the smoothie.

"Pukka," I replied.

"So...how's your new life going?" he said, sipping his drink.

Oh god.

"Good, I guess."

"What are they like?" he asked.

"Aw, he's lovely, he is. A little old man in the middle of town. He owns a tuck shop as well. I work for him, part-time as well."

He got suspicious.

"Oh, really, what's his name?"

"John Callaghan..." I hesitated.

"Mr C fostered you?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Not exactly..." I muttered.

"What do you mean by that?" he asked.

"I uh...ran away..."

He shook his head.

"Why, Finn? Why?"

"I just wasn't happy there, okay...nothing good would ever happen-"

"So you thought being homeless was a better idea?!" he said, sarcastically.

"What if Mr C wasn't there to help you? Without him, you could've been dead by now!"

"Okay, I get it, I made a stupid decision!" I snapped.

"You just don't think sometimes, honestly," he mumbled.

"I'm sorry. But hey, I met you again, it wasn't such a bad idea, after all, was it?" I joked.

He rolled his eyes. "Look, why don't you come down my house for tea later? My Mam would probably let you sleepover. She would love to see what that little rascal has been up to all this time," he laughed.

"She did make a mean spaghetti bolognese," I joked.

"I'll have to tell Cal first, obviously, but yeah, I'm in. It'll be nice to have a catch-up."

He smiled, and we walked back to Cal's shop.

"Oh, one second Josh," I said, pulling him from the door.

"If he says anything, my name is Cae Jacobs," I whispered.

"Why exactly?"

"Just in case someone came looking for me," I answered.

He chuckled.

"See, your boy isn't so stupid after all."