FIFTY-THREE

That night, I decided to put Poppy's file back in the cabinet. I waited until Ton had fallen asleep to return it. I searched my backpack for another bobby pin, and luckily I found one. I put on my hoodie and made my way downstairs to her office. I looked at the file once more, contemplating whether or not to look at it. I sighed, and shoved it in my backpack, realising it would be the wrong thing to do.

I stepped into her office and walked towards the filing cabinet. I unlocked the drawer and slid the file back in its place. I turned around and saw Agatha standing in front of the door. She was staring at me. I gasped.

"I was wondering where that went," she sighed. "Give it to me." She held out her hand, and I pulled the file from the cabinet.

"Agatha... I can explain," I said.

She sighed, again. "Take a seat, Finn."

I walked towards the leather chair in the corner of the room and sat down. I gulped.

She placed the file on the desk and looked at me straight in the eyes. "I just don't understand what possessed you to do something like this."

I didn't say a word and stared at the floor. Avoiding all eye contact with her.

"Talk to me," she said, brushing her hair away from her face.

"I don't know what you want me to say."

"Did you read it?" she asked.

I shook my head. "No. No, I didn't."

"Then why did you take it?" she asked. Her patience was slipping away with every passing second.

"I don't know. Ton said something to me... And it was just all a coincidence... I'm sorry," I sighed.

"What was a coincidence?" she asked, lowering her eyebrows.

"I met this girl when I was gone. Her name was Poppy. And Ton said that the girl I saw outside my window was called Poppy... I just thought they could've been the same person." I sank my face into my hands and stared at her.

She sighed. "How could you drag Braxton into it?"

I squinted my eyes. "Why are you taking this so seriously? I returned the file... I didn't read it... Everything's fine."

"You and Braxton stole personal information about someone-"

"Someone who no longer lives here. Someone who I fell in love with. Someone that I let go," I snapped.

She breathed deeply. "We can forget about this, okay. But I have to tell Mr and Mrs Wilson."

"Who?" I asked, confused.

She swallowed. "He's told you, hasn't he?"

"Told me what?" I pulled my chair closer to her.

"He's getting adopted," she answered. I closed my eyes and looked down at the floor.

"He hasn't told you, has he?" she muttered.

I shook my head and sighed. "When is he leaving?"

"Finn," she said, her voice was caring and genuine.

"When is he leaving?" I repeated, sternly.

"Next week," she said, softly.

"Great. So everyone knew except me," I puffed.

"Finn, it's not like that... It was so sudden... And they really hit it off," she stumbled.

I stood up and walked towards the door. "Just don't tell them, please. It was my fault... Ton did nothing wrong," I muttered.

She wiped her face and sighed.

"Please... I'll do the washing for a year... I'll do the ironing... Please. Don't ruin his chances of a good future because of me..." I flustered.

"We both know how much he deserves it," I added, before making my way upstairs.

Why didn't he tell me he was getting adopted? And next week? Why would he hide something so big, and important from me?