TWENTY-THREE

We sat there; just watching the world go around, and taking the moment like it was our last. Although neither of us was talking, I heard everything; the river flowing in the distance, the birds singing to one another, my thoughts dancing to their melody, and the calm breeze rushing through the trees, bringing life to the forest. Now I understand why Poppy calls this place home.

Even though I was nowhere near her heart, I could feel it. Beating in perfect unison with mine. My heart has never beat this fast before, and this strongly, and I'd like to believe she felt the same. Occasionally, I would feel her pale, delicate hands brush against mine, either by accident or on purpose. Nevertheless, every touch of her skin made my heart beat faster.

After my body had seemed to relax as much as it could; my heartbeat slowed down, my hands stopped shaking, and the lump in my throat disappeared, she spoke.

"So, Finn. Tell me about you."

"Me?" I replied, raising my eyebrows at her.

She nodded. "Yes. I mean, unless there's another Finley Green sat beside me."

I rolled my eyes and smirked. "There isn't much to say about me."

"Oh come on, Finley! There must be something interesting in that head of yours." She grabbed my hands and swung them around. The fact that she held my hands voluntarily, even only to emphasise something, made the lump in my throat reappear, and my heart skips another beat.

I shrugged, still unsure what to say or do.

"Tell me...your darkest fears, your passions..." she said.

"I guess I play the guitar if that counts or something." I shrugged.

"That's perfect!" Her eyes lit up and were as bright as a diamond in the sun. "You don't understand how perfect that is."

I laughed at the fact that she was so amazed that I played the guitar, but I was also intrigued as to why she was so excited.

"You see, Finn. I sing, and I don't want to sound vain or anything like that, but I'm quite good at singing-"

"So, you're saying we should be a duo?" I laughed.

"It was only an idea," she puffed and crossed her arms.

"Poppy Starr, I will take your idea into consideration, but I haven't played in forever."

"I'm sure you're not terrible at it."

"I don't want to sound vain or anything like that, but I'm quite good at playing the guitar," I said, mocking her.

"Hey!" she yelled, smacking me playfully.

I'll spare you the details of the rest of the afternoon with Poppy; I spoke about Ton and Cal, and she spoke about Izzy and Bronwyn, and we took a walk around her 'Heaven on Earth'. After that, she led me back through the creepy, old door.

"Well, I best be going home. It's almost 7 now and my parents will be worried about me," she said.

"Yeah, of course, that's fine. I have to get back to Cal now, anyway. He'll probably need help closing up the shop and everything," I replied.

"Oh, that's sweet of you. Mr Callaghan is too precious."

"Yeah, Cal is a really good man." She smiled because I called him Cal, instead of Mr Callaghan.

A moment of silence crept on us because neither of us knew when to leave. We'd occasionally give awkward smiles to each other and then look down at the floor until she started to walk away slowly.

"Seriously, Finn. I have to go, my Mum has been texting me like crazy," she giggled.

I grinned, and she began walking away, before waving like a million times.

"Poppy Starr!" I called after a while, and she looked back at me.

"Shall I see you tomorrow?" I asked, and she smiled.

The world was a better place when she smiled. My world was a better place.