NINETEEN

I walked back through town and into Cal's shop. He greeted me with a huge grin.

"There he is!" He hugged me.

"So, how was last night?" he asked.

"Good. Good. It's mad how long it's been."

"So...what time do I finish work today?" I grabbed my apron.

"Well, it's nearly 12 now...how about I let you end early. Is 2 pm okay?"

"More than okay!" I grinned, putting on my apron.

He smiled, walking into the bathroom.

My work shift went relatively fast (there weren't many customers) which made things easier for me. At 1 Cal went food shopping, and I ate some chocolate and crisps from my backpack.

I grabbed a piece of cardboard and a pen from the storage room and wrote 15 AND HUNGRY (NON-ALCOHOLIC OR DRUG PUSHER) for when I'm not working for Cal, and being more independent.

"Why did you have to put that at the end," he sighed, walking through the door with bags of shopping.

"To make it more specific."

"He rolled his eyes.

"No, but it's true. Nowadays, people think that my generation is full of drug pushers and alcoholics. So if I make it clear to them that I'm not, there's a higher chance that I'll get more money," I replied, hanging my apron back on the wall.

"That is the weirdest logic I have ever heard," he laughed.

"It's worth a try." I placed the sign down in front of me and sat outside his shop.

Weirdly enough, it worked. I got more, and more change, complimenting people and wishing them a good day, which got me even more change! I was getting good at this.

But things got even better.

I was there, doing my thing when she came out of nowhere. A bright flash of red. Eyes like emeralds. Hair that blew effortlessly in the wind.

I couldn't help but look again, captivated by her beauty.

I was enthralled by her laugh, by the way, the sides her lips curled when she smiled.

Then we made eye contact, and I was completely and utterly lost.

She walked up to me, her friends following.

"Could...you spare...any change...today?" I faltered.

"Of course," she spoke sweetly, handing me a ten-pound note.

"Thank you so much...Miss."

She smiled.

Her friends urged her to leave.

She looked back at me.

I was mesmerised. Hypnotised by her.

I knew that my heart would never beat the same way again.

They say that when you meet the love of your life, the world stops and the rest of the day seems to be going in slow motion. But it was nothing like that. It was just her and I next to an old tuck shop on the corner of the street.