EIGHT

Crawling through the gap in the fence, I stared back at the building I had my first fight in, my first love, my first heartbreak. "Thank you, Aggie," I whispered to myself.

Walking for what felt like miles, I felt a familiar atmosphere. I turned to my left, and there was an old playground. I sat on one of the swings, reminiscing. I remembered all the time's Josh and I would hang out here every day after school, acting like chavs.

He had chestnut hair and very intense hazel eyes. He was quite shy at first, but once you got to know him, you couldn't forget him. Josh wasn't keen on getting into a relationship, but there was this one girl he had his eye on, Alana. It was quite strange how sudden he fell for her to be honest. One day he was 'normal' and the next he was 'love struck'. I remember the day, she rebutted him. I'd never seen him in such a state. It took every ounce of courage to ask her out, and she took advantage of that. After a while, he got over her, and I remember Alana instantly regretting what she'd done.

I'm not sure what happened between them since, and I wish I did.

They were both in love, but both at the wrong times, and it took too long for them to realise, and the world took too long to bring them together.

Making my way through the street, taking sips of water, I contemplated about what Ton had said to me.

What if she didn't live here anymore? Did I make a mistake? Did I make the right decision?

My heart raced with every step. I looked around. It was completely silent.

It was so peaceful.

It was as if the whole world had fallen asleep and I was the only one awake.

It's beautiful. No more chaos or confusion, or shouting or screaming.

The dimly lit street lamps were night lights. The leaves reminded me of my family. My mum. Every year in the springtime, we would go out and stick leaves into scrapbooks.

I picked off a leaf, kissed it, and shoved it in my pocket for safekeeping. I yawned, no surprise really, considering it was nearly half two in the morning. I rubbed my face out of exhaustion and sat down on the cracked pavement. Pulling out a small blanket from my backpack, I reached for the bar of chocolate and bit off a small chunk. As it melted in my mouth, I felt myself slowing falling asleep.

I was awakened by the yelling of a man, I adjusted my eyes, and looked at him.

"Oi, I've told you before, get off of my property, and do not step a single foot into my shop, you cheeky pickpocket! Or I'll call the police!"

The man was probably in his late 70's, early 80's and had short grey hair and a pair of glasses that were too big for him.

"Um... I'm sorry sir... Honestly, I was just tired... And I didn't realise I was on your property," I flustered, grabbing my things. Although he was old, he was still intimidating. And the last thing I wanted to be the police searching for me.

Adjusting his glasses, he stared down at me. "Hang on," he said, confused.

"You're not that little pickpocket from across the road, are you?"

"Um... Um... No sir... Sorry, sir." I grabbed my bag and tried to leave.

"You wait there young man, what are you doing out here all alone?"

I remained silent.

"Not speaking, aye?" he said, losing patience.

It was as if my lips were glued shut.

At this point, I considered running straight past him. But it felt like he wanted to help me somehow.

"Just to make you reassured, I'm Mr Callaghan, but, my great-grandchildren always wind me up and call me Cal... You can too, I guess. You're probably around the same age as them. How old are you again?"

"Um...15?"

"Well, you seem a bit young don't you think? Being out here and everything on your own? Where are your parents?-" He stopped in mid-sentence. He probably knew that I ran away or something, and didn't want to seem nosy, and disrespectful.

He smiled, exposing his pearly white dentures. "Well, nice to meet you? Sorry? What did you say your name was?"

I thought for a moment. I didn't want to use my real name. In case someone came looking for me.

Think Finn.

I looked behind the old man and saw a green sign with writing on it: Caerphilly.

That's it... Cae. You're a genius, Finn.

"Cae," I said, confidently.

"Well, great to meet you Cae." He smiled and smacked my back quite hard. I didn't think he had that amount of strength in him.

He reached out his wrinkly, liver-spotted hand, and I shook it. He then pointed at his shop, gesturing me to come inside.

The shop smelled of sweets and confectionery. I was surrounded by jars of various sweets. Many of which were colourful logos of brands from years ago. The one I recognised the most was Cadbury's.

I noticed a large quantity of fudge in old fashioned containers. I licked my lips.

"Oi, don't, dribble over the counter there son. I just cleaned that!" he joked.

My jaw dropped, as I took in the beauty of the shop.

"Pretty amazing, huh?" he said, noticing my reaction to it.

"Uh... Yeah. It's beautiful," I replied, astonished. The shop was old, but vintage. All of the cupboards and drawers were made of solid dark oak, and were glistening.

"It was my fathers."

My jaw dropped even lower... If that was possible.

"Yup, and I've wanted to keep it in the family if you get what I mean?"

I nodded.

I placed my bag on the floor, and put my hands in my hoodie pocket. I heard the sound of crunching. I reached in and pulled out the leaf I'd stuffed there last night. I walked to the bin and dropped it. And it seemed I threw away my old life and started anew.

Goodbye, Finn.

Hello, Cae.