TEN

I awoke to Mr Callaghan banging on the door. I slapped my face to at least try and wake me up. I placed my feet on the rug and looked at the clock on the wall. It was 7:26 am.

"For god's sake," I groaned, stretching.

I stuffed my hands in my hoodie pocket and greeted him at the door.

"Well, good morning Sleeping Beauty," he joked. I yawned.

"Couldn't get to sleep, eh?"

I shrugged.

He guided me to the kitchen.

Just like the shop, the table and cupboards were made of dark, solid oak. There were blue and green tiles on the walls and polished wooden flooring. On the table lay an opal, lace tablecloth, and upon it was a huge silver bowl filled with various fruit. I pulled out a chair and sat down.

"Would you like a cup of coffee, son?" he asked, filling his mug. It reminded me of what happened to Ton, how his father had burnt him with boiling water.

"Would you like a cuppa?" he repeated.

I didn't answer.

"I've got tea as well if you like," he said.

"Don't mind if I do. Two sugars, please!"

He laughed.

"I just guess it hasn't been easy sleeping lately," I said.

"Yeah, I get what you mean," he replied.

"Thank you."

He smiled.

"Tell me what's on your mind, Cae. What's bothering you?"

"Everything," I stuttered, sipping my tea.

"Did someone hurt you?" he asked.

"Not physically," I mumbled.

"What was that son?" he asked. He hadn't heard me.

"No. No one hurt me," I answered.

I felt he didn't believe me.

A silence fell.

"So...what's the plan for today?" he asked, breaking the tension.

"Probably just walking around town, trying to find something to do."

"Why don't you go and see if any shops need assistance? I saw a Help Wanted sign on the CO-OP's shop window. That could be a start."

"Hmm...I guess that'll be fine for now, as I said yesterday, I can't go for a job looking like this. Would you seriously employ someone like me?"

"As I said, you can go and wash up in the bathroom anytime you want!" he laughed, prodding me playfully.

"Right, why don't you jump into the shower right now. The store opens at eight. I'll go fetch you a towel," he said, walking to the airing cupboard and grabbing a bright yellow towel.

"There we go, the bathroom is just down there." He pointed.

"Thank you, Cal. I appreciate everything you've done for me."

"No, problem son."

Grabbing the towel I walked to the bathroom.

The theme of the bathroom was the seaside; the tiles were red and blue, and there were ornaments of boats, photos of the sea, and a big vase of seashells next to the sink.

Taking off my clothes, I hopped into the steamy shower.

As I showered I pondered what I would do for the rest of my life? What the future held?

When I was little, my absolute dream was to become an astronaut. I would be glued to the television screen every time a space programme came on. I grew up in a poor family, and we couldn't afford toys, but my mum always tried to make me happy. She made me a rocket once; out of an old cardboard box, and drew a few stars and planets. It wasn't much, but it was everything to me.

Some kids used to tell me that I would never become an astronaut and to be honest, I wish I realised that sooner, because dreams and goals don't always come true. Well, that was the case for me.

I stumbled out of the shower, dried myself, chucked my clothes back on, and walked into the kitchen.

"Eh, you were fast!" he said, cleaning the dishes.

"Well, you do know, the early bird does catch the worm."

"Indeed I do."

"Now, do you know what to say today?"

"Yeah," I replied.

I looked at the clock: 7:56 am.

"Well, I must be heading off," I said.

"Of course, son, it's a big day today."

He hugged me and put on his apron.

He walked me to the front of the shop and waved me goodbye.