FIFTY-EIGHT

In the morning, I grabbed an old suitcase and began packing. If everything was already packed, I couldn't change my mind. At least that's how I saw it. I barely had any clothes, anyway. I folded a few t-shirts, and jeans. I stumbled upon the hoodie Poppy had bought me. I hesitated at first but decided to pack it. I zipped it up and placed it by the door. I sat by the window and waited for Ton.

The door creaked open slowly, and I sighed.

"Poppy? How did you get here?" I said, not looking forward to another goodbye.

"Ton... He let me in," she said, walking towards me.

"No, I mean how did you find this place?" I asked.

She stared down at her feet and sighed. Somehow, I knew she was going to tell me she was the girl by the window.

"It was you, wasn't it?" I finally said, "You're the girl I saw outside my window when I was 11."

"I'm sorry," she said, "I should've told you..."

"...Yeah, you should've."

"I was going to. But it had gotten so far, and you were opening up about your mum, I just didn't think it would've been the right time," she sighed, "If I could go back in time, I would've told you."

"No, you wouldn't have. You probably would've lied again..." I sighed, "...are they even your biological parents?"

She shook her head. "No. They adopted me when I was 11. The night you saw me leave was the night they picked me up."

"And your brother? Is he?..."

"No. They adopted me because they couldn't have any kids...but a few years later they tried again and..."

"Everything happens for a reason, I guess," I chuckled, trying to change the atmosphere.

She sighed again. "Why did you try and look in my file?"

"What?"

"Ton told me that you got in trouble for taking it..." she said.

"He exaggerates."

"Finn," she said sternly, "Look, I don't care. I don't even live here anymore so it doesn't make a difference, but just tell me what you needed to know."

I sighed, "I just wanted to know you. It's like I didn't know you, Poppy."

"Ask me anything. And I promise I won't lie."

"Well, for a start...Why did you end up in care?" I asked, sitting on my bed. I gestured her to sit down with me.

"I guess my mother was quite a sensitive woman, and she'd constantly have a new boyfriend. Naturally, they'd leave after a while and instead of dealing with it, she would just drink. A lot. And I'd always get pushed to the side. I've been in and out of care homes probably all of my life until I got adopted..." she said.

"And Jones?" I snickered.

"Yeah, I decided to change my last name after a few years. To get a real new start if you know what I mean," she giggled.

"Oh, I know," I chuckled, "You'll always be Poppy Starr to me though."

She smiled, "So...have you got your bag packed and everything?"

"Just need to add a few more things."

She sighed, "As much as it kills me to see you go, I'm happy for you. I thought it over and it's the only thing I can do," her eyes watered.

"Hey, don't cry," I said, wiping her tears away.

"They're happy tears. You deserve to be happy, Finn. You do," she sobbed, wrapping her arms around me.

I kissed her, and at that moment, I felt I was in the wrong. I knew I needed her just as much as she needed me, but deep down I knew we couldn't be together. And we weren't even from separate worlds anymore. She was exactly like me, and she got her happy ending. Now it was my turn. I needed to be strong for both of us.

As our lips parted, I leaned my forehead against hers, and I cried. I cried because I had completed my task. I had found the girl outside my window. I had loved her, and I had lost her. As my tears dripped from my eyes, I felt relief. I felt complete. Poppy Starr was mine. She always was mine. But I never got to keep her. As sad as that was.

I could feel her trying to hold onto me, but deep down she knew she couldn't keep me forever. I pulled away and brushed the tears from her eyes. Before she left, I reached for the drawer under my bed.

"I have something for you..." I said, handing her an envelope. A final letter of goodbye.

"How romantic," she scoffed, rolling her eyes.

As I watched her leave the house and walk across the driveway, it reminded me of the night we met. The night I knew. The night I fell in love with someone I could never have. She smiled up at me, through the tears, and the pain. And I remembered the time I had with her. The memories I would cherish forever. She changed my life. And I will never forget that.