FIFTY-SIX

I sat at the edge of my bed and listened to bands that Charlie had recommended. He had sent me his playlist. Although very emo, it was very good. I removed my earphones when Ton entered the room and smiled.

"How did it go?" I asked, putting my earphones to the side.

"It went... Good," he said, smiling. A genuine smile.

"You excited to go with them?" I asked.

"They want to foster you, too," Ton blurted out. Surprisingly, his smile didn't fade.

"What?" I said. I didn't know how to react. I didn't know if I should be happy, or scared, or confused, or all of the above.

"David thought it was cool that you played the guitar-"

"That's one thing... What happened when I left?" I asked.

"Nothing really. After we met, they went to see Agatha, and they really want to adopt both of us," Ton exclaimed.

I froze. I didn't know what to say.

"You don't have to make up your mind straight away... They understand if you want to come later-"

"I don't understand any of it," I interrupted, shaking my head.

"I know it's sudden... But wouldn't it be great... You said it yourself... You wanted to leave."

I sighed. "Not like this."

"What's wrong with them?" Ton asked, lowering his eyebrows.

"Nothing's wrong with them. They're great, Ton. I just don't want to leave."

"That's a bit contradicting... Didn't you run away for three weeks?" he scoffed.

"I'm not arguing with you over this," I said, putting my earphones back in.

Ton came and sat beside me. "Just think about it, okay. We both need a fresh start... So why don't we have one together?"

I closed my eyes and sighed. "I'll think about it."

I didn't say it because I would genuinely think about it, but I just wanted to make Ton happy.

"It's just so sudden, Ton. You have to realise that," I added.

"I know, but we've been saying for years how we want a happy family... What if I can be your brother, Finn. Like an actual brother," Ton said.

I chuckled. "You'll always be my brother, Ton. It doesn't matter where we are."

He smiled. "I think it would be good for us. For you. You're my priority, and I want you to be happy."

"I am happy."

He looked at me. "You can't stay here forever, Finn... And everything that happened a few days ago... You can start anew... Poppy will be forgotten if you come."

I shook my head. "I could never forget her. No matter how far I move away."

"She's your first love, but she won't be your last," Ton patted my back.

"Thanks, dude. I really appreciate it."

"Agatha's made food... I don't know about you, but I am starving," Ton chuckled.

"You greedy pig," I laughed.

Ton snorted and headed downstairs.

I spotted the hoodie Poppy had bought me. I grabbed it, and shoved it under my bed, as if saying goodbye to her, and our story. I breathed a sigh of relief and followed Ton downstairs.

My life was about to change. And I had to make the right decision. For my sake, just as much as Ton's.