NINE

After my tour around the shop, I grabbed my backpack and made my way out. I explained to Cal that I was going out to search for a job today and that I'd be back by noon. He gave a thumbs-up, and I left.

I felt the breeze on my face and fresh hope in my heart.

I strolled along, dragging my backpack, and my stomach complained because I hadn't eaten that morning.

"Crap," I whispered to myself.

I unzipped my bag and grabbed a few slices of bread and some meat which I packed previously.

After making the sandwich, I took a bite and sighed, enjoying my work.

I looked around, I only saw a few people as it was a workday. I felt hope for the future that had so far been missing from my life.

I checked the money in my pockets - £18.25 to last me for god knows how long. I realised I needed a job. And fast.

Outside the post shop, I noticed a woman selling copies of the Big Issue - It was a way for people who were homeless or low on money, such as myself to make their own.

I mentally noted that idea and carried on searching.

I took my water bottle from my backpack and had a swig, hoping it would end my headache, and I did feel a little better.

I hadn't realised until today how rude the average person was to an outcast like me. I asked several people what the time was but they ignored me until an old woman with grey hair answered me. It was 2 pm. She reminded me of Agatha. I smiled at her, trying my very best not to cry. She offered me a five-pound note, which I greatly thanked her probably about fifty times before heading back in the direction I came from.

I'd never thought about it before. Begging for money. I've seen it plenty of times, especially when I was younger walking through town. You see, I was brought up into a type of family that would choose to ignore those who desperately needed help, and I'm sure a lot of people can relate. It's common nature. It always made me scared and uncomfortable to see them out there, all alone, and the fact that now, I am in the situation that little Finley Green would shit himself in, makes me regret my actions of leaving.

But, once I got older, and started coming to terms that they were real people, who, most of the time, were innocent, and did absolutely nothing wrong, I decided to help them. Every time I went to town with Josh and a few of the boys, I'd take some spare change with me. Every time I would see someone begging for even a penny or two, I would always give. No matter if the person was an alcoholic or just an innocent teenager like me, I always felt sympathy over them.

The worst was when I'd see animals with them, such as dogs. I would always have to buy it a bone or a treat of some sort.

So, that was my only strategy for earning money for now. I would get a job, so this was only temporary. I started with the old people who were most of the time, the easiest to con. I would make up some soppy story that my parents were abusive and kicked me out, or something really cliche that they would believe. It's not exactly fair on them, but it did the job and I managed to win a few coppers and silvers that added up to £1.24. I then scoured a rubbish bin for a cup of some sort to collect it all. Some people were especially generous and bought me a bottle of water, or a sandwich, which I stuffed in my bag for supper tonight.

Sometimes, I was not so fortunate and ran into a complete and utter arse-hole. They would kick my cup, sending most of my money flying down the street.

I've had people spit at me, curse at me, look down at me. Believe me, I've had it all.

At one point, I decided to call it a day, and stuffed my ragged blanket back into my backpack, and walked back to Cal's shop. I counted my earnings - £8.67, which, including the food and water some people gave, instead of money, I'd say, it was a good day.

I walked back into his shop, and yawned, plopping my bag onto the newly mopped floor. He was serving a customer so I waited until he finished.

"So, how did it go today, son?" he asked, locking the till.

I shook the cup, smiling.

"Not that bad, eh?"

I shrugged.

He made his way towards me.

"Things will get better, I promise you."

He smiled, and we hugged. I couldn't help but feel comfort, relief in some way.

"So, how did the whole get a job thing go? Any ideas?"

He started to wipe the counters.

"Well, I saw a woman today. Holding copies of the Big Issue?"

"Hmm, I guess that's a start? Did you have a look in any stores for help or anything like that?"

"Well, I had the idea, to go in and everything, but I couldn't in this state!"

I laughed, pointing at myself.

He gave me a half-smile.

"You know I could always help you with that. I've got a bathroom you can wash up in."

"I know."

The grandfather clock in the corner showed 7 pm. I came back later since I thought I was doing so well.

"So, I guess I'll see you in the morning?"

"Mhm."

I grabbed my backpack and walked outside.

"Cae, son," he said.

"I can't let you sleep out there, whilst I'm inside. I won't allow it."

"No, honestly, Cal it's fine!-"

"No, it isn't." He looked straight at me.

"I've got a great-grandson a year older than you, and even the thought of him sleeping outside sends shivers down my spine."

"Now, if you'll let me, I'll take you to the spare bedroom in the back."

"Honestly, Cal, you don't need to!"

"Yes I do, I won't sleep easy if you don't come."

"Okay, fine then."

He led me into a little rectangular room with a single bed with a black and white striped duvet cover on it, and a luxurious fluffy rug on the floor. There were also several different photos of his family.

"This is my great-grandson Lewis' bedroom when he comes to stay. It's not often though, so it'll be nice to have some company here once in a while."

I genuinely felt sympathy over him.

I placed my backpack on the bed.

"Thank you," I whispered into his ear.

He just smiled and went into his bedroom that was opposite. Before turning off the light, I looked at the photographs. There was one with a boy and a girl (his great-grandson's girlfriend maybe?) and a few more with him and his friends.

I switched off the light and reached for my backpack. Taking out the ham sandwich someone gave me earlier, I munched it.

I placed my head on the pillow and snuggled into the thick quilt. I realised that I hadn't searched for the girl yet, and for once, I wasn't scared, or worried. And for once, I felt happy. I felt loved.