TWENTY-EIGHT

We walked through town and met up with Alana. "Finn?" she dropped her bag and hugged me. "Jesus, you've changed."

"I wish I could say the same. You look the same as the last time I saw you," I replied, breaking from her embrace.

"As sad as it is, it's the truth." She shook her head and pouted. "The only thing that's changed is my teeth." She smiled.

"Braces?" I asked.

She nodded. "Hurt like hell, but it was worth it."

"She's a vampire, Finn," Blaidd said.

"Right you are, Bleddyn," Alana replied.

"So what are we gonna do?" Charlie asked.

"I don't care," Blaidd replied.

"Same," Alana said.

"It's not like I have anywhere else interesting to go," I chuckled.

"Thanks, guys. You're a big help," Charlie said sarcastically.

Alana gasped. "Oh my god, can we take Jack for a walk please?"

"I mean, sure," Charlie replied.

Jack was Charlie's Nans dog. He was small, fat and looked like a cloud.

Alana's face lit up. We went back to his Nans, grabbed Jack and started walking him around town.

The others were in front of Alana and me; Charlie was walking Jack and talking to Josh, and Blaidd was walking on his own with his headphones on.

We stopped at a bench and sat.

"So how're things going? Sorry, Josh has only told me a little bit about your situation," she asked.

"Yeah, things are fine. I'm living with Mr Callaghan, I've got a bunch of new friends. Things are very good actually," I replied.

I didn't want to mention my encounter with Poppy Starr, but I couldn't stop thinking about her. I accidentally smiled.

"What are you grinning at?" she asked, pushing me playfully.

I rolled my eyes. "Absolutely nothing."

"Hmm..." she looked at me. "Finn, I might not be super good friends with you, but I can tell when you're lying. Spill it."

"Oh, you know me so well," I replied.

She nodded. "Come on."

"So basically there's this girl-"

"Now I'm interested," she interrupted.

I rolled my eyes. "Her name is Poppy, and she's cool. That's it. No need to make a huge fuss about it."

"There is a girl that could potentially date you. It's a big deal," she replied. "Does she have a last name?"

"Starr. Do you know her?" I asked.

"Indeed I do. I've spoken to her a few times in lessons and shit. She seems alright. Very pretty."

I blushed. "Yeah, I know."

"Awh, are you in love?" she asked, giggling.

"Don't be stupid. I have only known her for a few hours."

"Love at first sight," she said, bluntly.

"You know I don't believe that."

She rolled her eyes. "This might work out. Don't mess it up."

"And why are you so sure about that?" I asked.

"Because I don't you to miss out on a chance at love. Cringey, I know. You deserve it, Finn."

"Sometimes I don't think I do," I sighed, "it just feels like everyone I've ever loved has left me."

"You shouldn't think like that," Alana said, "if they loved you too, they'd never leave."

"But my mum...and Mabel...and Cal at one point will die on me..." I swallowed, "...it just feels like the world is against me sometimes."

"You're just unlucky, that's all. There are people in the world that are just destined for success...others have to work harder for it," Alana sighed.

"So it's impossible," I laughed, "what if I am just unlovable?"

"That's not true. You have at least 5 people around you that love you. Quality, not quantity, Finley."

"I suppose that's true. But that's friendship kind of love..." I muttered.

"Platonic love is just as important as normal love..." she interrupted, "I'd rather have friends that love me."

"True again..." I chuckled, "...I just really don't want to mess this up...I think I like her."

"And if she feels the same, you won't. I promise."

"I missed you," I smiled, "and Josh...and I guess now these new friends..."

"They're good people," Alana said, "anyway...talking about them...we better get back."

As I sat in Charlie's room, surrounded by a new group of friends, I realised how lucky I was. I mean, if Cal hadn't been so nice to me, I would probably still be on the streets, and probably never would've found Josh. Maybe my luck was beginning to change for once.