4.00

The great hall was full to the point of overspill. It seemed more crowded than usual, the house tables sat exactly the same way the had been for the six previous years I had been at hogwarts. But it was different this time, the students no longer sat in clear divided houses, each adrift from the others. The students were mixed in together.

No matter what direction I turned my head, I was met with a new pair of eyes, a different colour of robes and a new conversation. It was different, good different.

I was surprised when the trio of friends who I had only encountered in negative experiences, settled down into the vaccant space opposite me. Tension was thick in the air as I looked from Ron to Hermoine and at last to Harry. My grey eyes locked with sparkling green.

Ron cleared his throat, making the pair of us avert our gaze to him. "Alright Malfoy?" To say I was taken aback, was an understatement, I sat in stunned silence for a moment before gathering my wits and nodding my head, "Yeah I'm okay mate, you?"

"Been better like, but it's nice you know, to see everyone together."

"Well personally, I think it's amazing. Not only that everyones talking to the other houses, but that we're back again, it doesn't feel real that this time a few months ago, the castle was in ruins. But I'm glad to be back." Hermoine answered for all of us.

Harry looked up from his plate, "Yeah you summed it up to a T there 'mione. It feels like we can finally move on, all we need to do is get this year over and done with and we can leave it all behind us."

"Thank Merlin.." I mumbled under my breath.

"That eager to get rid of the lot of us Draco?" Harry raised an eyebrow at me and narrowed his eyes in a joking manor.

"You can say that again." Harry chuckled and Ron and Hermione exchanged a not to subtle look.

"Soooooo.. how was your summer Draco?" Hermione questioned, trying to lighten the mood.

"It was good, Mother and I stayed in France, we sold the manor. We bought a smaller house out in the countryside, it's much nicer. You?"

"Wow, France is a beautiful place, I stayed at home most of the time, but it was nice to be with my parents." I knew she didn't want to dwell on the topic of family, I knew it was a tough topic for all of us.

A mane of dirty blonde hair caught my attention, as Luna sat down beside me in the empty space separating me and pansy. I nodded to her as she smiled at us and turned to talk to Pansy. I had a nagging feeling that something was going on between the two of them, but I didn't want to be the one to ask the awkward questions.

McGonagall stood up and silence fell over the room.

"Now, I hope you don't mind sparing a few moments of your attention to me before bed time. I hope you enjoyed the feast", I glanced down at my still full plate, Harry must have followed my gaze, I looked up to see him looking at me confused, I turned away from him.

"Eighth years, you will be staying in seperate dormitories to the rest of your houses, simply because we are lacking the space. You will be moved to the third floor. If you wouldn't mind, could you please remain behind while the rest of the students return to their dormitories."