Chapter 2 - Hunt

A week had passed and Chris decided to go to their house and talk to Sophie about selling their it. They had bought it together 6 months ago. He was going to be going house hunting with his manager and his Liam the next day and he needed to finish discussing it so he could plan the next purchase. He had already called her earlier that week, they yelled at each other, cried for hours and had finally decided they were through trying to make it work.

"Hi, I'm outside" Chris spoke into the phone, he waited at the door till he saw a a familiar figure come and unlock the door for him. "Hi", she said. "Hey", he replied, putting his hands into his pockets. They walked inside, and made heir way into the living room. Chris saw a woman sitting on the sofa already with her back to him. As he walked across the sofa, he saw her, it was Ellie, Sophie's older sister. "Hey", he said to her as he hugged her, "How are you?". "Good, thanks, and you?" she replied as she sat back in her spot. "Yeah, I've had better days", he said as he attempted a smile. He was glad she was there, He knew Sophie must have called her to mediate for them. He liked Ellie, she had always been fair and supportive of their relationship. She had called him out on some of his bad behaviour and had done the same to Sophie.

He sat in the sofa chair across from Ellie and Sophie sat next to her. Ellie started to talk, after a minute of an awkward silence. "Chris, look, I think it's a good thing you guys are ending things, I mean, as much as I love you guys, not all relationships work out the way we want and its better to get out before you lose yourself in it. I don't think its anyone's fault here, I just think it has run it's course unfortunately. I'm sure you both are hurt and upset and have a lot of unaddressed feelings but right now, you both need to think logically and make some tough choices." She paused to get confirmation from them. They both nodded at her. "Chris, I want to buy your half of the house" Sophie spoke up suddenly. "What?" Chris said, he heard only a part of what she said because she spoke up so suddenly. "I want to buy this house, so I will buy your share of the investment." She said again, slowly. "I spoke to my lawyer, and he said he will draw up the paperwork once you've agreed. So, can I tell him to start?" She spoke again.

"You want to live here?" Chris asked, "Are you sure?". "Yes, I loved this house when we saw it and I really don't want to move again, besides, I would probably buy a house like this anyway so why not this one right? and it will be a faster process too, so I have spoken to the real estate agent to give me a quote on the current value of your half, with the escalation and I'll have that sent to your lawyer to check." Chris was a little thrown off by this meeting, he had expected them to fight and cry and argue over selling the house but this seemed extremely calm and surprisingly normal. 'She wants to live in our house' Chris thought to himself, 'Well, it would be her house soon. Same rooms, same memories' "Uh, yeah I think that's ok, I mean, whatever you want", he said, timidly. Ellie got up and left from the room to give them some time alone to talk things through again.

"Soph, I'm going to be looking at houses tomorrow with Liam and Will, I just wanted to tell you before someone else does.", he said softly. She looked at him, with glassy eyes and nodded as she said, "Thanks Chris. I'm really sorry for everything that happened, I know things were strained because of me and I just couldn't handle it. Sorry", tears fell from her eyes. She held her face in her hands as she started to sob. Chris immediately moved from the chair, and sat down right next to her, putting an arm around her. She just leaped into a hug when she felt him next to her, "I'm sorry Soph, I just couldn't give you what you wanted, I really did try though. I didn't want this to happen either, I still love you Soph, you'll always be special to me", he said softly as a tear ran down his cheek too. "Oh Chris, You were a great boyfriend. I was the one who messed up. I just need some time alone now, to figure things out, I'll be ok and you will too" She said as she pulled her lips into a weak smile.

Chris wiped the tears from her face and then his too as he smiled and said, "I only want the best for you, I hope you find what you are looking for". "You too Chris" Sophie said as she stood up with him. "Let me know what paperwork you need from my lawyers, I'll speak to Will to arrange a meeting with them day after. I'll see you around Soph", he said as he kissed her cheek and walked out of the living room. He saw Ellie standing just outside, giving them some privacy but available if they needed her. "Thanks Ellie, take care of Soph" he said as he hugged her. "You know I will, take care of yourself big guy" she replied. He walked out of the house. He turned to look back at it as he put on his sunglasses. He got into his car and drove away, feeling peaceful for the first time in months.

He waited at the door of Liams house as he yelled out, "Liiiiamm", he heard a voice "Yeah, I'm just coming". "We're late, can you just hurry up? Will's waiting for us mate" He said loudly. "I'm here I'm here" Liam said as he appeared from the hallway outside his room. Chris walked out toward the car and Liam closed the door behind him. They got into Will's car "What took you so long? I know women to take less time to dress for the red carpet man". "Yeah, ha-ha. I was entertaining a lady, I get points for taking my time buddy." Liam said. "Oh god! Seriously? You've left a poor girl alone inside your house right now?" Will asked, "Yeah, it isn't her first time at home, she knows her way out", Liam replied. "How do I not know you have a woman in the house? I've been staying there for a week now!", Chris interjected. "Well, firstly, you've been in your own little depressed bubble, and secondly, I told her to be really really quiet, but I'm glad we were finding you a new place because it's about to get really loud soon", Liam said snickered. "Dude, that's not cool, I don't need to know these things", Chris made a disgusted face and held his hands to his ears. "Hey, you guys wanted to know why I was late!" Liam said defensively.

"Ok, we're here." Will said as he pulled into a huge mansion. They got out of the car and met a lady who was waiting on the steps of the entrance. She looked to be in her mid 30's. She had short brunette hair, green eyes and a warm smile. "Hi Mr Ward, Mr Hemsworth" she said as she shook their hands. "I'm Anna, I'll show you around a few houses today. If you seem to like any, just let me know and I can send you the details about it, so, shall we begin?", she said. "Yep", Will said as he opened the door to the mansion. "After you.." he said, holding his hand out.

They all walked inside the large house, it had huge windows, white walls and deep brown wood trimmings. "This one is probably one of our best, Its got 5 rooms, 4 and a half bathrooms, a lovely lawn and a 16 meter pool" Chris walked around the large living room which led into a garden. Beside the garden was a pool. He saw the rooms, the master bedroom facing the garden and pool. The house was quite beautiful but Chris wasn't too thrilled. "It's really nice but its not what I'm looking for". "Alrighty, let's go to the next one then shall we?", she said, smiling.

They pulled up onto a house overlooking the beach. It was smaller than the previous one, but still quite stunning. It had a pretty mosaic tile roof. As they walked in, Anna spoke, "This one is the only beach front property we have right now, It's got 3 rooms, 3 bathrooms, an infinity plunge pool with a patio with direct access to the beach through the back. This area is has a guard at night, it's pretty much the most secure location you will find right on the beach. It has a lovely sea-facing living room, with the bedrooms on the floor above." Liam walked out onto the patio right next to the pool. "Oh mate, you have to see this" he said loudly from outside. Chris walked out toward him and saw the view, it was a sunny day with small waves crashing into the sand just a few feet away from them.

Will walked outside and stood next to Chris. He saw Chris' face and knew what he was thinking. This house was the one. "It's really great" Chris said, as he walked over to the kitchen, with a large island. It was quite perfect for him. He imagined himself going surfing, running on the beach, having his friends over. He wanted this house. "Is this property available to make a few changes in the floor plan? I would like to make some adjustments to open out the living room a bit more, tear down that wall maybe to connect it with the patio and add french doors to brighten up the place". He pointed to a wall and then looked at Anna who was smiling. "So I take it this is the one?", she said with a grin. I'll have to check with the contract but I don't think it should be much of a problem" she continued. "Do you want to see another place?" she asked. "Yeah, I want to check all options" Chris replied, as they left to see another house.

Will, Liam and Chris came back to Liam's house. Will and Chris went into the sitting room while Liam went to the kitchen to get some water for all of them. "So? Do you want to make a decision or you want o see a few more tomorrow?" Will asked, taking a sip from his bottle. "I like the beach house, I think its a good size, plenty of space for my parents to visit, or guests and I think overall its the best one" Chris said, sitting back in the chair and thinking deeply."Hell yeah, beach parties at Chris' baby!" Liam said as he pumped a fist into the air and then disappeared from the room, making Will and Chris smile. "So do you want me to put down an offer for you then?" Will asked. "Yeah, go ahead, but I want to change the furniture, that classical stuff really wasn't my style and I want to make the changes in the floor plan too, so negotiate all of it" Chris said. "Ok, I'll do that" Will replied, as he got up from the sofa, "Don't forget, meeting tomorrow with the lawyer about Sophie's house, once we are done with that, we can go to a decorator". "Yeah, see you tomorrow" Chris said as Will left. Liam popped his head back into the room, and said, "My lady and I are going for dinner, so I'll see you later". Chris chuckled, "Ok, and please don't wake me up with horrifying sounds later" Chris added. Liam smiled and disappeared, shouting back, "No promises" and shut the door behind him.