Chapter 17 - Demanding Distances

Holly checked her phone, no new messages. She exhaled and started back at her laptop. She checked the designs of a new piece of furniture and made notes to ask the manufacturer the next day. She checked Facebook, answering some of the messages her friends had written to her. She looked at the phone again, she was expecting a call from Chris, he had told her that he was finishing his shoot and was going to call her at 11pm her time, it was now 11.26pm. Holly stretched out on the bed, putting her laptop aside and picking up a book. She kept her phone close to her and checked the ringer volume again and finally decided to close her eyes for a few minutes. She was startled by a ringing sound and quickly turned over and opened one eye jut barely enough to see Chris' name flashing on the screen. She answered the call and lay back down in bed, closing her eyes. "Hi", she said in her sleepy voice. "Hi baby, so sorry, I got caught up with the shoot and I couldn't call you back but I'm free now. Wait, shit, were you sleeping?", Chris said. "Yeah. How are you?", Holly said, still in a daze. "I'm good. Uh, go back to sleep, I'll talk to you tomorrow", Chris said. "No, talk for a bit, I haven't spoken to you in 8 days", Holly said, opening her eyes slightly. "What time is it there?", Chris asked. Holly looked at her phone promptly and held it back to her ear. "It's a little after 4", she said. "Oh shit, go to sleep babe, I'll call you tomorrow", Chris insisted. "Ok, text me when you're free. Love you", she said and hung up. She dropped her phone in the bed next to her ear and turned around and fell back into her deep slumber.

She woke up at 8, and checked her phone, Chris had sent her a text. She opened it to see a selfie of Chris in the Thor costume, wearing sunglasses and sticking his tongue out. She smiled as she read, "Hiya Princess" attached to the picture. She immediately text back saying, "Hi, just woke up. Going to get to work today. Picking up parents later int he evening. Miss u x". She got up and jumped in the shower to get dressed for work.

She was at her client Olivia's apartment, supervising her contractor as they set up an antique wardrobe in the bedroom. "Holly this looks perfect, are you also going to be doing the library space today? I would prefer we finish it today because I'm travelling next week and I want to host my house warming party as soon as I'm back", Olivia said to her. "Um, yeah sure, the pieces are in the van so we can to it, it's mainly just the desk, chairs and the shelves",  Holly said as she sat on the sofa chair next to Olivia. Holly's phone blared a sharp ring as she excused her self and looked at it. Chris was was calling her. She quickly said to Olivia, "Sorry, it's my boyfriend, he's travelling, I'll be quick", as she answered. Olivia smiled and gestured that it was okay. "Hi Chris, I'm working right now, I can't talk. Will you be free later?... Ok never mind, I'll text you when I'm done... Ok....you too...bye", She said and hung up. "You're dating Chris Hemsworth right?", Olivia said. "Yeah, I am", Holly answered proudly. "Yeah I remember seeing it in some magazine, he's really hot", Olivia said. Holly chucked, "He is. luckily the media has been quite forgiving, there haven't been too many pictures or gossip about us", Holly said. Olivia smiled and nodded. "Holly, Do you want o get some lunch? I can get some takeout for us. I think it's going to be a while here", Olivia said as she looked at her watch. "Yeah sure", Holly said to Olivia. "Which do you prefer? Sushi or Mexican?" Olivia asked her, looking up from her phone as she scrolled down numbers. "I'm ok with anything really", Holly said. "Ok lets get some burritos. what do you like in yours?", Olivia asked again. "Um, I like it spicy, and I prefer the grilled chicken in it, all the other stuff is good.", Holly said, trying to keep her preference as simple as possible. "Got it", Olivia said as she called the restaurant for the food.

Holly got back to her office at about 8 pm, tired. She still had to go through for some of the furniture pieces and create a look book for Olivia, but first, she had to go to the airport and pick up her parents. Holly drove to the airport, trying to evade traffic as much as she possibly could. She was running late after being stuck in a traffic jam. She fumbled on the communication system, trying to call her parents as she drove along. She finally got connected, "Hi mom, you're here! sorry, I am late, why don't you guys wait at the coffee shop there and I'l see you in like 10 minutes? I'm on my way", She said. "ok sweetheart, see you soon, drive safe", her mom said and hung up. In about 10 minutes she reached the airport and waited for her parents to come outside where she was parked. She saw her parents and immediately ran towards them and hugged them. She pulled her parent's luggage and led them back to her car. She put the bag in the trunk and sat in the driver's seat next to her dad who sat in the passenger seat. "So, ready to go?", She said starting the car and driving away. Her phone buzzed again and then Chris' name displayed on the communication panel in the car. Her phone was automated to the speaker system in the car and she dreaded the thought of Chris speaking to her in the speaker with her parents sitting in the car so she just disconnected the call. Chris called again and she disconnected again. "Darling, you can speak to him, it's really ok", her mom said from the back seat. "No, I'll call him later, how are you? How was your flight? I'm so happy to see you guys here", She said as she tried to avoid talking about Chris.