Chapter 5 - Misunderstandings

Chris waited in a small cafe a few miles off Malibu. It was a non-descript place with only a handful of tables and chairs. It was usually very busy and hand a back room which was for private gatherings. Chris knew the owner, a chirpy elderly lady with no children. Chis visited this place often when he had just moved to LA and the meat pie reminded him of Australia. A few minutes later, he saw Will enter the room through the kitchen entrance with Sophie right behind him. She looked at Chris and ran upto him and hugged him. Chris felt her body spasm as she sobbed into his shirt. He held her for a few minutes, understanding the hard time she was going through. Will quietly left, giving them some privacy.

Sophie pulled herself off Chris and wiped the tears off her face. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry, I was just so glad to see you", she said, sitting down on the chair. "No, don't apologize, I understand. Don't worry, you will be okay. Have you spoken to the father yet?" Chris asked, concerned. "Yeah, he said he needed to think about us and figure it all out. He said he will help me with the baby if i decide to have it though", Sophie said. "Okay, that's a good start, but Soph, what do you want? What do you feel about this?" Chris said. Sophie started crying again, "I don't know Chris, I feel like everything around me is moving at the speed of light and I just want to take a moment and figure it all out, but with the paparazzi and everything I feel like I don't have a minute to just be by myself and think about it", Sophie said, wiping tears from her eyes continuously. "Soph, you are here, there is no paparazzi here, no one to bother you. Take some time, breathe...I know you can do this, either way, you'd be a great mom, if you choose to have the baby, but you'll be fine even if you decide not to. Either way, I am always here, if that guy doesn't have the balls to face this, I will. We'll figure this out together, I can move back in with you and we can do this, like we talked about.", Chris said, starring deep in her eyes. "No Chris, we tried to have this life, but I think we were just in different places at the time. I think we still are. I need to figure out what I want for myself first, but its not you Chris.", Sophie said. "I love you, and I always will, but as friends. I want you in my life, you are one of my closest friends. I can trust you, you always do the right thing, but I will hate myself for asking anything more from you". Chris nodded, blinking back tears and hugging Sophie again. A few cups of herbal tea, and some talking and crying later, Sophie smiled at Chris and spoke, "Thanks for this Chris, I really needed to get away. I think I'm going to call Ellie and go stay with here for a little while till this all blows over the the media and till I figure out a decision. Adam can visit me there.". "Soph, you always have me here. Anything you need, just let me know okay?", Chris said as they got up from the chairs. "Wait, let me check if the place if empty, or we'll go out from the back.", Chris pulled out his phone and dialed Will.

"Ok, there are only 2 people in there, we can go", Chris said as he hung up and held his hand out for Sophie to hold. Sophie and Chris walked out from the private room into the main cafe and were about to head out the door when. "Chris?", he heard a familiar voice. He turned to see Holly looking at him. Her eyes were red and she was sitting alone on a table. She was wearing a grey tank top with a black cardigan and loose light jeans. Her hair was pulled in a messy bun with loose bits of hair falling out. "Holly!" Chris said, his eyes widened with shock. Her eyes fell on his hand, clutching Sophie's. He saw her looking at his hand and quickly dropped Sophie's hand, hoping to avoid any misunderstanding. "Uh, what are you doing here" he asked, taking a step toward her. He saw her golden eyes, red and puffy, there were tear stains on her cheeks. "Are you okay?" he said, realizing she was not. "No but I will be", she said, trying to wipe the tears forming at the corner of her eyes. He wanted to just hug her and comfort her but before he could move, Sophie whispered "Chris?". Chris turned back to her and saw Sophie looking at him, confused. Will burst into the cafe and said, "What's taking so long, the car's....", he stopped as he saw Holly. "Hi Holly?", he said, confused and looking at Chris and Sophie. "Will, can you take Soph back home and make sure she's ok? I've got my car so I'll drive back in some time" Chris said. He gave Sophie an 'I'm sorry" look. Sophie looked back at him, and said, "Chris, I need you". Chris looked at Holly and back at Sophie and finally Will. "Ok, Will, please stay here with Holly and make sure she get back safely? I'll take Soph. Holly, I'll call you later, I'm sorry, I have to go, I'll explain everything." He said as he put an arm around Sophie and walked out. "We'll go to my place, it's closer and there won't be any paparazzi around either. I'll drive you back later once Will checks out your place to make sure its not surrounded." Chris said as he drove towards his house.