Chapter 7 - Brunch and Bonding

Chris got home from his gym and went to take a shower and get ready for brunch. He was excited and nervous at the same time. He couldn't wait to see Holly. He picked out a white shirt and navy trousers and grabbed a pair of his favorite sunglasses, his car keys and left the house.

He text "I'm here" as he pulled into the driveway of Holly's apartment building. He waited for a few minutes and saw her coming out from the lobby, towards his car. She was wearing a printed flowy long dress and her loose hair flew around with the breeze. Chris's stomach flipped looking at her. Chris took a deep breath and smiled as she came closer. "Hey" he said as she climbed in the car and leaned over to give him a hug. "Hi, how was your morning?", she asked. "It was good, hit the gym and yours?", he replied. "Wonderful, I slept in, which I rarely get to do. Feeling fantastic", she said, smiling wide. Chris smiled back and kept glancing at her as he drove towards the cafe.

They got a table, sat down and ordered their food. As they waited, Holly spoke first, "Thanks for meeting me, I'm trying to keep myself occupied and out of the house as much as possible for now. I need a change in environment you know, sticking to the same routine makes me feel like there is a part missing now", she admitted. "Yeah, I know what you mean, I felt the same way after Sophie, I was happy to live with Liam for a while, it was good to hangout with his friends and then Aria and I just felt less alone I guess", Chris said as he watched Holly nodding in agreement. "Yeah, right? I guess this was the last time I give a guy so much importance in my life", she said as she took a sip of the latte which had just arrived on the table. Chris felt his heart stop when he heard Holly's words. "No, I mean, I'm sure not all men are like that. I definitely still believe there is a woman who I will fall in love with and commit to for the rest of my life, I mean, I can hope for it at least. All one can do it hope it works out the next time, and maybe it does or maybe it doesn't but at some point a woman is bound to feel the same way about me right? I'm sure not all relationships are meant to fail? Take an example of your parents", Chris said, trying to subtly change her mind. "Yeah, my parents worked out, and that's great but now, I think, with people being so fickle minded, no one seems to want to stick it out with someone else once things get hard, people are so used to taking the easy way out, it seems that people rather go through a heartbreak, and get over someone than go through an inconvenience. So technically, a heartbreak is supposed to be less inconvenient than a rough patch", she explained. "Well, people do dumb things all the time right? It's human nature, but I guarantee, that the people who stick it out and take relationships seriously, would be the happier of the bunch. I can imagine what it would be like to be with just one person, sharing your thoughts, fears, achievements. Maybe I'm romanticizing it in my head but I know that is more or less what I want." Chris said, trying to end the conversation. Her cynicism and hostility towards relationships was feeling like a knife in his heart.

"Yeah, well, I hope you find this dream girl and you have your happily ever after", Holly said, admiring his belief. Chris laughed, "Maybe I have, but she had to find me too you know, I can't do all the work here", he said, trying to make a joke. Holly laughed, oblivious to the fact that he might be talking about her. They ate their food, talking about how Adam wanted an open relationship and his change in behavior over the past month. As they were about to finish, Holly said, "I'm so glad I'm getting out of here for a while, I need the distance from his city. Everywhere I go, I'm reminded of him and I just hate getting out of bed now". Chris looked up at her confused, "Where are you going?" he asked, secretly hoping it wouldn't be for too long. He wanted to see her again before he went off for his filming. "I'm off to Italy and France. I was meant to go next month actually, I need to meet with some of my suppliers and place new orders. I decided to go earlier, I want to spend a few days in Milan with some friends from when I worked there, I'm leaving on Thursday." she said and took a bite of her food. "Oh wow, that sounds fun, how long will you be gone?", Chris asked, faking excitement. "Mm, about 3 weeks", she said as she swallowed. "Cool", Chris spoke before he looked down in this plate and took a bite. "Yeah, I can't wait", she said. Her smile warmed him up from inside, he was happy to see her so happy and excited. The past few days she had been upset and he was glad to see her trip was making her cheerful again. "It sounds exciting. I'm happy for you Hol, you deserve a break", Chris said, smiling at her.