Chapter 48

Poe's POV:

1 week later
•••
I wake up the rays of sun shining in my eyes. Another day without Rey. I think to myself sighing before getting up. I change into my causal wear, brush my teeth, and then head out the door. My squadron got our X-Wings a few days ago, now we're just waiting to use them. I get my breakfast, and head back to my room, not having anybody tip sit by. I sit at my table, wishing all my friends went busy. I start eating my breakfast when I hear a buzzing noise from the other side of the room. I stand up and see my pager almost jumping off of the table. I pick it up, then I hear gun shot.
"Show time." I say grinning putting on my pilot suit and running out the door.

As I get to the docking platform, I see the others behind me. BB-8 is waiting for me. I put on my helmet and climb up the ladder, and then sitting down as I lock in.
"You ready buddy?" I say turning on the controls.

"Yep, always ready Poe." He says

We start the takeoff routine, the others following behind me. We get into the air getting shot at right away.
"All Squadrons report in." I hear a voice say in the radio.

"Black leader reporting in." I say.

"Red leader reporting in." Another voice.

"Blue leader reporting in." Shane says and we start fighting.

"I have one on my tail, I can't shake it." A woman says.

"I see it, I'm coming." Another voice says.

"There's more coming, look out." I say.

Then in the distance I see a big ship, a destroyer.
"Guys there's a destroyer back there, they found us." I say.

"Leia we need to start evacuating, we'll barely get everyone out in time as it is." I say

"affirmative, starting the evacuation process." Leia says.

"Okay let's give em what we got." I say taking out four X-wings.

We fight for a while before we see all of the ships take off the opposite way we're going. One, two three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. I count the ships as they take off. I sigh in relief,
"Evacuation complete, keep distracting them until they get out of the atmosphere." I say taking down two more.

"Affirmative," people say back to me.

I see the last ship leave the atmosphere. Holding on a little bit longer hoping they can get out of the system. Finally, I give instructions for the evacuation.
"Okay start the evacuation process." I say as we all get into formation and take off.

I lead as everyone follows, we make our way out of the atmosphere. Shooting off X-wings right and left.
"Poe, tell everyone to make the jump to lightspeed to Yavin four." Leia says over a crackling intercom.

"Affirmative." I say.

"I've gotten orders from General Leia to make the jump to lightspeed. Set your coordinates for Yavin Four." I say starting up the computer.

"Everybody ready? Three, two, one, jump!" I say jumping.

We make it there in about an hour, all of our ships come out of hyper space easy.
"Okay, all fighters report in." I say.

"Blue leader reporting in." Shane says.

"Blue two reporting in."

"Blue three reporting in."

"Blue Four reporting in."

Then there's a silence,
"All blues report in." I say

"That's all there is sir, only us." A voice says sadly.

"Okay what about red squadron?" I say

"Red leader reporting in." A voice says.

"Red two reporting in."

"Red three reporting in."

"That's it." A voice says

"Okay Black squadron report in." I say."

"Black two reporting in."

"Black three reporting in."

"Black Four reporting in."

"Black five reporting in."

"Black six reporting in."

"Black seven reporting in."

"Black eight reporting in."

"Black nine reporting in."

"Black ten reporting in."

I sigh in relief, not having lost many of my troops.

"Okay so the Rebel base is on the eastern side, everyone make your way over there." I say.

A alarm goes off in my X-wing, I look to see where it's coming from. I blew a fuse."
"Damn it, BB-8 do your magic." I say.

"We gotta make this a quick landing." I say as more alarms go off.

"I see the landing platform, making a fast and messy landing I slide across the platform." The others land behind me easily.

The X-wing finally stops moving and, I sigh in relief.
"Another happy landing." I say taking off my helmet.

The top opens and I climb down the ladder, being greeted by many people. Shane comes over and ruffles my hair, and gives me a bro hug.
"Man Poe, if you wouldn't of seen that destroyer, we'd probably all be gone." He says smiling.

Finn comes up to me smiling.
"Nice flying man." He says with a thumbs up.

Finally everyone leaves, and Leia comes up to me.
"Good job Poe, I always know I can count on you." She says smiling.

"Will Rey be able to find us now?" I ask.

"She should, and it shouldn't be that much longer until she comes back." Leia says.

I nod and walk off, finding my place in this place. I hope Rey will come back soon. Should I get a room for her or just one for us to share? I'll probably get two and let her decide if she wants it or not. I go to the rooms and claim one for me and one for Rey, right next to each other. Then I walk out of the rooms and Finn walks out of the one right next to mine.
"Hey we finally have rooms close to each other." I say laughing as Finn turns and smiles at me.
I walk back in my room, setting it up, and then going to Rey's and doing the same. Setting it up the way she likes it, makes me think of Rey. I wonder if it's taking this long to convince Skywalker or he's training her? Or did something happen to her, and nobody knows it? No nothing happened to her don't think like that, and besides she's with a Jedi master she'll be fine. I say to myself.