Chapter 9 - Bandits

The morning sun appeared over the distance mountains, I could hear villagers getting up early to do chores. I'm so glad that morning has come, I was so bored all night but it was worth it to make sure that bastard didn't come back for Lucy.

After we ate breakfast, supplied to us by the chief, we headed out to find these bandits. I carried Lucy on my back through the forest as we searched for the bandits' base. Earlier we tried to get information from the bandits we captured and thanks to Erza's scary aura, they told us that their hideout was in this area.

Soon we arrived outside the bandit's hideout, our plan was Gray and I would attack from the front while Erza would attack from the back. Happy and Lucy hid in the bushes a little way away from the hideout.

Before we begin our plan, I kneeled down in front of Lucy "if you see a stranger come up to you, I want you to scream and Papa will come running, ok?" I told her. She replied nodding and smiling "yes Papa, good luck!" I returned the smile, patted her head and then left with Gray.

"Fire Dragon Roar!" I chanted destroying the hideout's gate, the bandits turned to us in surprise. "Attack!" one of the bandits called out, I think he's the leader. "Ice make: Floor" Gray chanted making the floor into an ice rink. I couldn't help but laugh because all the bandits were slipping and sliding. Some hugged each other to stay standing. One seemed to get his balance and tried to run at us but slipped and knocked out a group of his comrades. Gray smirked at his handy work, these bandits are just too easy.

Ice making some ice skates on his feet, Gray skated on the ice and rounded up the bandits. As we were tying up the bandits, Erza came over with tied up bandits that we missed.

We contacted the Rune Knights and Erza stayed with the captured bandits while me and Gray went back to Lucy and Happy. When we arrived, "welcome back Papa" Lucy greeted running up to me, I patted her head and then noticed there was an unconscious bandit on the ground. I looked over curiously to Happy and he said "I fought them off when he came over to us." I praised Happy for keeping Lucy safe, "good job Happy" I smiled.

Looking over to Gray, something seemed to bother him "what's wrong Gray?" I asked. Happy and Lucy looked at Gray concerned, "the two Demon Slayers were following us so why didn't they attack Lucy while she was alone with Happy?" Gray answered. "That's because I chased them off while you fought the bandits" a man spoke up, we all turned to see a hooded figure. Gray and I tensed until he removed his hood revealing Jellal.

Gray and I relaxed knowing they were friends. "So, you were here?" Gray asked, Jellal nodded "I know about the situation and I was in the area" he answered. "Papa who is he?" Lucy asked tugging lightly on my pants, Jellal came over and kneeled in front of her. "My name is Jellal, it's a pleasure to meet you Lucy" he greeted her smiling, "it's nice to meet you too, Jellal" she greeted smiling back.

"Who told you about what's happening?" I asked getting back on topic, "I did" Erza said coming up to us. "Since he travels around a lot he may be able to find some information about the two Demon Slayers" she continued. "I only found that they are working under a man named Ares" Jellal said, "but what do they want with Lucy?" I asked angrily hiding my face in my hair and clenching my fists.

"Papa?" Lucy broke me out of my anger, she was wearing a worried expression. I picked her up and hugged her "I won't let any harm come to you" I whispered to her. As we hugged I felt her arms tightening.

We said goodbye to Jellal and thanked him for protecting Lucy, then we made our way to the village to collect the reward. I carried Lucy all the way back to the village. The sun was setting when we arrived at the village, we told the chief that the bandits won't be bothering his village any more. The night became eventful as the village threw a huge feast to celebrate that the bandits are gone. I was eating fire while everyone else from Team Natsu ate the food the village prepared.

The next morning, we said goodbye to the villagers and left Iron Valley. It was peaceful on our way back to the guild, no signs of those Demon Slayers. As we arrived at the guild, I kicked down the door shouting "we're back everyone!" and they replied "welcome back!"

"So how was the job?" Gramps said from the bar. We explained the job and how the Demon Slayers were following us. "That is troubling" he said holding his chin in thought.

"By the way, I have a request from the Magic Council, they want Erza, Gray and all our Dragon Slayers to fight a monster terrorising a town" Gramps told us. I was excited to beat up a monster but, "but who will take care of Lucy?" I asked worriedly.

"I've arranged for Lucy to stay with Sting and Rogue while you are on your mission" Gramps said. I was almost sure that I didn't hear that right, "what!" I exclaimed. "You can't be serious Gramps!" I continued, "they should be here soon" he replied ignoring my outburst.

Suddenly the door opened revealing the Dragon Slayers I didn't want Lucy to be with, Sting and Rogue.