Chapter 36 - Saving Lucy

I punched Hell in the chest with everything I had. He flew in to the wall beside the door to the hallway but I wasn't finished with him yet. In a split second, I used my magic to propel me towards him and punch him again in the chest. We crashed through multiple walls creating a path of destruction.

Before I could punch his face, a shadow vine wrapped around my arm and pulled me back. I looked back at Hell but he disappeared. 'Damn, must've turned into a shadow' I thought as I ripped the shadow vine off my arm.

I looked around the room I was in and noticed I was in a store room full of weapons. Keeping my senses on high alert, I tried to predict his next move. Sniffing the air, I could smell him moving around like he was trying to confuse me. I trained my ears to listen closely for any noises he might make.

As soon as I picked up a faint sharp sound, I shot my fire at the spot and forced Hell out of hiding. "Argh!" he screamed on the floor as he held his side where he got burnt by my flames. Breathing heavily, he chanted "Shadow Devil's Rage!" with everything he had. I deflected his attack with my bare hands, leaving Hell shocked.

I sensed that he was out of magic power from that last attack. Putting all I had into it, I used my 'Fire Dragon Iron Fist' to punch him in the face causing him to fall unconscious.

There was a small silence until "you made a mess in here, haven't you?" I heard a voice behind me say. I turned to see Gray carrying Lucy while leaning against a wall with his hand. Lucy had her hands covering her eyes. I relaxed out of my Dragon Force seeing that Lucy is safe.

I walked over to them, "Lucy, you can open your eyes now" Gray cooed. Lucy looked adorable when she split her fingers apart to reveal her beautiful chocolate brown eyes. She removed her hands from her eyes when she saw me. "Papa!" she cried happily as she held her hands out to me, almost falling out of Gray's grip.

I quickly pulled her into a heartfelt hug, hugging her tight. She was crying tears of happiness as she sobbed into my shoulder. "Come on let's go home" I cooed, happy that I have my Lucy back.

We walked slowly towards the main room where Laxus, Gajeel, Sting and Rogue were fighting. I wanted to walk faster but Gray was in pain from being thrown into a door. Along the way I noticed Lucy fell asleep, with her head resting peacefully on my shoulder. All the crying must've tired her out, "goodnight Lucy" I mumbled quietly while stroking her back softly.

Once we entered the main room we saw that they had beaten their opponents. Vixen and Pearl were beaten unconscious while Ares was on the ground, leaning against the wall with Laxus holding his collar. Gajeel, Sting and Rogue were beaten up a bit but seemed fine. They turned to see Gray and I walk into the room with Lucy. They smiled when they saw Lucy, "you found her, great!" Sting said, happily.

"Tell us. Why did you take Lucy and turn her into a child?" Laxus stated angrily at Ares, turning our attention towards them. Ares snickered, "that girl has the potential to summon all her spirits at once and I know she has done it before. Her magic energy is incredible. I transformed her into a child to make it easier for me to harness that power within her. Raising her like my own child, where she won't remember Fairy Tail and her friends. Annoyingly, Lucy became too close to Natsu Dragneel thanks to those two idiots taking their time to retrieve her."

"What were you going to do with her power?" Gray asked as he glared at Ares. "To become the most powerful person in Fiore, even more powerful than Zeref himself" Ares smirked. "That's impossible" Sting said, "are the Rune Knights on their way?" Gajeel asked. "Yes they are" Rogue answered, "Natsu would you like to do the honours?" Laxus asked as he moved away from Ares.

"Gladly" I said, I put my hand on Lucy's head as I held her close to make sure she didn't get burnt. "Fire Dragon Roar!" I chanted towards Ares, scorching him. He laid there burnt and unconscious.

"Natsu! You could've burnt Lucy!" Gray exclaimed, "why didn't you hand her to me before doing that!" he continued. "Lucy's mine, back off!" I shouted, then Sting sighed "should've seen this coming" he said. Gray and I were arguing back and forth, accidently waking Lucy up.

"Mm, Papa? Big Brother?" she mumbled as she rubbed her sleepy eyes. "Sorry Lucy did we wake you?" I asked which she tiredly nodded. "Lets go. The Rune Knights should be here soon" Gray said as he walked towards the door. We all followed him out the door on our way back to Fairy Tail.

"Go back to sleep Lucy. We'll wake you up when we are home" I cooed as I wrapped my scarf around her as a makeshift blanket. "Ok Papa, I love you" she said as she fell asleep on my shoulder again. I blushed at what she just said. Looking ahead, I saw everyone smirking at me. I gave them a glare as I walked faster trying to get ahead of them.

"I can't believe Salamander blushed" I heard Gajeel comment. "Yeah, well he does love Lucy as more than a best friend" Gray said, I was trying my best to ignore their teasing. "How are you sure?" Sting asked, "because he told me" Gray replied. That's it! "Why the hell would you tell them that!" I exclaimed, "and there's the proof" Rogue commented.

Gray, Sting and Gajeel laughed while Laxus and Rogue were silently chuckling. 'I swear I hate these guys' I inwardly sighed. They teased me occasionally all the way back to Magnolia, which made the trip feel extremely long.