Chapter 27 - Wait What?!

Multiple emotions ran through my body as I watched Lucy sleep on Laxus' lap, anger, jealously and sadness. Before I could react, Gray grabbed me by my vest collar and dragged me over to the request board, "let me go Ice Popsicle!" I shouted. "What was that for?!" I said angrily as we arrived at the request board. "You heard what Gramps said. We need to take a job and the sooner we go, the sooner we get back. Now help me pick a job" Gray said.

"I have an idea why don't YOU go and I stay with Lucy" I argued. "Wow Flame Brain had an idea I'm shocked" he said sarcastically, "it's not like I want to work with you" he added. "Good I'll stay and you'll go" I said, "no, Gramps said we both have to go" he argued.

"IF YOU BOTH DON'T GET GOING, I WILL PERSONALLY GIVE YOU A JOB THAT WILL TAKE YOU A WEEK TO COMPLETE!" Gramps' voice boomed at us from the bar. We both straightened at his booming voice and quickly picked a job with a 70, 000 jewels reward. Gray and I quickly bolted out of the guild, almost like we were running for our lives.

We both stopped running once we were at the train station, panting heavily. "What job do we have to do?" I asked catching my breath. Gray looked at the job request he had in his hand. "We have to escort a rich guy to a party" he explained, "luckily it's a simple job" I said. "I'm not sure about that" Gray said as he reread the job request. "What do you mean?" I asked, "the rich guy could hire bodyguards to do this type of job yet he has requested wizards" he explained.

"Well, we can't turn back now" I said as I turned towards the train station. I suddenly remember where we were and felt sick. "Oh no" I said and I was sure I was turning green just from the thought of getting on the train. Gray placed his hand on my shoulder "yeah we can't turn back now" he smirked. This train ride might be the death of me.

It took 4 hours to get to our destination yet it felt like 4 days with my motion sickness. "Agh I'm never going on a train again" I complained as I got off the train, "you say that every time" Gray retorted, calmly walking off the train.

We soon arrived at the client's mansion. It was a bit bigger than Everlue's mansion which remind me of my first job with 17 year old Lucy. I felt nostalgic, remembering the good times, Happy scaring Lucy with a skeleton, Happy and I pretending to be ninjas while Lucy complained about ninjas being quiet. Also, when Lucy said she would use Everlue's toothbrush to clean the toilet. Sigh, such fond memories.

"Would you stop standing there daydreaming, we have a job to do remember?" Gray complained. 'This is going to be a long job' I thought as we walked into the mansion.

We discussed the details of the job with the client. He is going to a party for his sister's birthday and he has bought an expensive gift as a present, a crystal necklace worth 2 million jewels. A band of thieves have been trying to steal the necklace but had no luck with the amount of security he has. Although, he needed wizards help because the thieves were magic users and he can only travel with up to four bodyguards without getting too much attention.

We agreed to help the man, "when's the party?" Gray asked. "Tomorrow night. If you need a place to sleep tonight, you can use one of the guest bedrooms in my mansion" the rich man said. "We would appreciate the hospitality" Gray replied, the rich man asked his maids to bring our bags to our room.

"I wonder if this was how Lucy felt living in her mansion?" Gray wondered. "Yeah" I replied, the maid brought us to a luxurious room with two single beds. "Ring the bell if you need me" the maid said before exiting the room.

I quickly laid on the bed closest to the window, getting first choice. "Hey Natsu, let me ask you something" Gray said as he sat on the other bed. "What?" I asked as I looked up at the ceiling. "Why are you so protective towards Lucy compared to anyone else in the guild?" he asked. "She's my job partner" I said, 'why does that sound wrong? Like I just told a lie?' I thought.

"I'm sure there is more to it than that. You love her, don't you?" he asked. "Is what I'm feeling, Love? Do I love Lucy?" I said, "looks that way" Gray replied. "Did I say that out loud?!" I exclaimed, "yes you did Flame Brain" he retorted. "What does Love feel like?" I asked, "I'm not sure exactly. You feel you need to be with them all the time, you want to protect them, you love the way they talk or laugh, things like that" Gray answered.

I thought about it for a second... I DO LOVE LUCY! I bolted upright on the bed. It shocked me on how I haven't noticed. "Did you finally notice? You dense idiot" Gray said. "Who knows?" I asked hesitantly. Gray pretended to think, "um, the whole guild" he said with a smirk. "What?!" I exclaimed, how could I be so dense to my own feelings. "What if she doesn't like me back?" I asked, "I don't think you will have a problem with that" he replied.

"Why?" I asked, he sighed "just ask her out when she turns back to normal" he replied. "What does 'ask her out' mean?" I asked, "OH MY... ask her to be your girlfriend! Do I need to spell it out for you?" he shouted. Oh... wait what?! "How am I supposed to look at little Lucy now that I know I love her?!" I asked. "Treat her like you normally do" he said. Suddenly there was a knock on the door, "dinner is served" the maid said through the door. My mind went blank at the thought of food.