Chapter 1

It's a cold winters night in the kingdom of Raven's Frost I was sitting in the living room reading while my mother was sitting in her favorite chair knitting my father was putting another log on the fire when someone knocked at the door. My father got up and answered the door he walked over to my mother they were speaking in hushed nervous voices.

"Lydia go to your room please." my mother said worried. 

"Mom what's going on?" I asked nervously. 

"Your father broke off a deal with the king." 

"I'm not leaving." 

"Please you must." my mother begged. 

Someone was knocking at the door my mother looked at me with pleading eyes I quietly made my way out the back door and quietly made my way into the barn I hid in the hay loft and kept quiet. I heard my mother's blood curdling scream and then it grew quite I stayed in my hiding spot and tried my best to keep warm I felt tears welling up in my eyes when I woke up the sun was starting to come up, I heard the barn door open. 

"Lydia are you in here?" A female voice called.

I knew that voice anywhere it was my best friend Hondedea Ruthian I climbed down from the hay loft Hondedea ran over to me and hugged me tightly. 

"Lydia thank heavens you're okay." 

"Hondedea what happened the only thing I remember was my mother telling me to go hide in my room I heard someone knock at the door I snuck out to the stable and hid in the hay loft all night." 

Hondedea looked at me somberly I knew she was going to tell me something bad. 

"Lydia, I saw King Lucas's guards knock on your door last night one of the guards killed your father as soon as he let them in and then I heard your mother scream. I watched the three guards leave your house and they rode away on horseback like nothing happened." Hondedea explained. 

"I want to say good-bye to my parents." I said somberly.

Hondedea and I left the stable we walked inside the cottage I took a deep breath and entered the living room I felt tears starting to well up in my eyes when I saw my parents dead, I knelt down beside my parent's lifeless bodies. 

"Don't worry mother I will get my revenge against The King I promise." I whispered. 

I rose to my feet and walked into my room I grabbed my sword from beside my bed I grabbed my bow and quiver of arrows from under my bed I removed the lose floor board and grabbed my knives. I put on my weapons I left my room and walked out of the cottage I walked back into the stable and walked over to my horse's stall. My horse is a black solid black I saved his life when I was nine years old, he was being mistreated his old owner was going to kill him I brought the horse home and cared for him I named him Nightmare because of his stubborn attitude. I saddled Nightmare I attached sacks of food and a container of water to Nightmare I grabbed the reins and led him out of the stables. 

"Lydia where are you going?" Hondedea asked. 

"I have to leave the village because I don't feel safe and if the Kings guard's find out that I am still a live they will hunt me down." I explained. 

I hugged Hondedea good-bye she handed me my thick black cloak I put on my cloak and pulled the hood up I climbed onto Nightmare's saddle I grabbed a hold of the reins and galloped away there was a bitter chill in the air which meant that snow was on the way. As I made my way out of the village, I made a vow to myself to keep my promise to my parents it was going to be dark soon I decided to stop and make camp I was sitting near the campfire when I heard a horse approaching, I grabbed my bow and arrow and pointed it in the direction where I heard the horse.