Chapter 4

I was finishing getting ready for Damon's birthday ball I checked my ballgown out in the full-length mirror I look really beautiful in my dark purple ballgown I left my room and made my way down to the grand ballroom. I walked into the ballroom and bowed politely at King Lucas he looked at me with disdain. 

"Lady Elena, you weren't invited to my son's birthday." King Lucas said angrily. 

"Your Majesty I am invited your son invited me last night." I explained.

"Father, Lady Elena is telling you the truth I asked her to come." 

King Lucas walked away I bowed to Damon he looked at me and smiled warmly. 

"Thank you for inviting me." I said sincerely. 

"You're welcome would you like to dance?" Damon asked.

"I would love too." 

Damon took me by the hand and led me out onto the dance floor the band started to play a waltz Damon and I were waltzing it was like we were the only two people out on the dance floor when the waltz ended. I stepped out onto the balcony to get some air Damon joined me I looked out into the night. 

"Happy birthday Prince Damon." I sang. 

"Thank you, Lady Elena." Damon said with a smile. 

I walked back into the ballroom a few of the King's guards were staring at me I stared them down and walked out of the ballroom as I was making my way to my room, I overheard two guards talking. 

"Any sign of the peasant girl?" The guard asked. 

"No, no sign of her she probably fled or sold herself for money and ended up dead." The second guard said in a deep voice. 

I felt my blood turn to ice when I reached my room, I quietly walked into my bedroom I softly shut the door and locked it I was trying to come up with an escape plan when someone knocked on my door. 

"Who's there?" 

"It's me Damon." 

I unlocked my door and opened it Damon came into the room he closed the door and locked it. 

"Damon there's something that I need to tell you." I said. 

"Okay." Damon replied. 

"When I was on my way upstairs to my room, I overheard two of your father's guards talking they are still searching for me." 

"What do they want with you?" 

"I don't know and I'm afraid to find out." I explained. 

"I will protect you." Damon vowed. 

I walked into my dressing room and changed out of my ballgown I put on my slip dress I left the dressing room and joined Damon on the couch. 

"Why are you willing to risk your life for me?" 

"Because I care about you and I love you." 

"I don't feel safe because I'm afraid they will find out who I really am." I said softly. 

"I will protect you no matter what." Damon vowed. 

"Do you think your mother could help us?" 

"I will send a letter to my mother asking her for help against my father's plans." 

Damon left my room I locked my bedroom door I grabbed my knife out of the drawer of the bedside table and placed it on the bedside table I climbed into bed and drifted off to sleep. The next day I was sitting on the couch in my room reading when Damon came into the room and joined me on the couch.