Chapter 5

It was a breezy and cold morning Damon and I were standing on the front steps of the castle waiting for the carriage I pulled my heavy cloak tighter. When the carriage pulled Damon and I walked down the steps he opened the carriage door and helped me into the carriage I sat down on the black leather seat Damon sat across from me. The carriage started moving I looked out the window and saw the villagers my heart broke when I saw a little peasant girl begging she looked to be about four years old she was dressed in rags and dirty. Just from looking at her I knew she was from the slums Damon noticed my stare he pulled the curtain down I stared him down. 

"That little girl needs help and you're just going to turn your back on her." I said angrily. 

"She's not my problem." Damon replied in a bored voice. 

"Stop the carriage now!!" 

The carriage came to a stop I opened the door and climbed out of the carriage I walked over to the little girl from the slums I went into my coin purse and took out a gold coin and put it in her tin cup the little girl looked at me and smiled. 

"Thank you, ma'am." The little girl said. 

"You're more than welcome." I replied. 

I could feel Damon watching me from the carriage window the little girl was shivering from the cold I wanted to help her anyway that I could. 

"Sweetie where are your parents?" 

"They died from an illness and I live on the street in the slums."

"Come with me and you will be safe." I said. 

The little girl took my hand I turned around Damon was standing there holding a warm cloak, shoes, and clothes Damon and I walked back to the carriage with the little girl he opened the carriage door I climbed into the carriage and sat down Damon helped the little girl onto the seat next to me Damon sat across from me the carriage started moving again. 

"My father will not be please that you rescued a peasant girl begging." Damon said annoyed. 

"I don't give a damn what your father says I will not turn my back on a child that needs help your father can kick me out of his castle but I will not leave this girl because she needs me." I said through my teeth. 

When we arrived at the Royal Family's second home the carriage came to a stop Damon climbed out of the carriage, he helped me and the little girl out of the carriage. 

"Ma'am what is your name?"

"My name is Lydia but you must call me Elena so I don't get into trouble. What's your name?" 

"My name is Katherine Cleanmourn." Katherine said.

Queen Alexandria was standing in the door way of the Royal Family's winter home when Katherine saw the Queen, she hid behind me.

"Damon, Elena I was excepting you earlier. What happened?" Queen Alexandria asked. 

"Go ask mother of the poor." Damon said. 

"Your Majesty, I can explain we would have been here sooner but I had to help a child in need the little girl has no parents and there was no way that I was going to leave a four-year-old live alone on the streets in the slums so I brought the little girl along." 

"Damon, I don't see where Elena did anything wrong." 

Damon, Katherine, and I followed Queen Alexandria into the mansion Damon handed me the clothes and shoes he bought for Katherine.

"Elena come along with me and I will show you to the bathing chamber." Queen Alexandria said. 

I held Katherine's hand and followed Queen Alexandria upstairs she led me into a guest room I led Katherine into the bathing chamber and gave her a bath three times to make sure she was clean. I dressed Katherine in her new clothes Damon bought Katherine a tunic, pants, and boots I combed Katherine's hair she looked at me and smiled I helped her downstairs we joined Damon and The Queen in the sitting room Katherine and I sat down.