Before You Know It

Regina ran down the stairs against her own rules to a bark downstairs.
Emma held a small puppy. Henry stood beside her. "Can we keep it?!"
Regina crossed her eyes at Emma. "Emma? Explain."
"He was going to be put down. He's missing a leg. I couldn't leave him. Plus. Look at his face!"
Emma said holding him up.
Regina rolled her eyes and turned to face Henry. "I'm not taking care of him. You two get to do that."
Henry's eyes widened. "Yes! Thank you!" He said loudly and hugged Regina.
       Regina crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at Emma. "A dog?"
   Henry ran to the back door with the dog and brought him out back.
    Emma smiled. "I like dogs."
   "I don't. They smell, they drool, and they shed. Do you know how to clean up after a dog?" Regina asked.
   Emma hesitated. "We'll learn. Come on Regina. Henry really wanted a dog. That's all he begs for. And I want a dog." Emma said.
    Regina rolled her eyes. "Fine. Fine! But I'm not taking care of him." She snapped and walked to the kitchen. "And I better not see him eating off the table. He'll have his own food."
     "Fine." Emma said and walked it the backdoor and joining henry. 
    Regina hugged loudly and began to make dinner. Her hands shook as she cut the meat up. This was a bad day for her. The calories drummed in her brain and her body was screaming for her to ignore the food. She took a deep breath and dropped the knife. She felt tears well up in her eyes and she covered her mouth backing away from the counter.
     She couldn't do it. She couldn't be around food. Not right now. Regina took a step back and felt arms gently close around her body. "Regina? what's wrong?" She heard Emma's voice ask gently.
      Regina turned slowly and looked at Emma before hugging her tightly and biting her face against the blondes shoulder. "I can't do it today Emma. I-I" her voice cracked.
     Emma rubbed her back soothingly. "It's okay Regina. Look at me."
    Regina looked at Emma slowly.
   Emma smiled. "Take a deep breath. It'll be okay. Okay? Say it."
      "I-It'll Be Okay." Regina repeated.
    Emma kissed her cheek. "I'm here. I'm not going anywhere." Emma said softly into Regina's ear.
Regina nodded. "I know."

Regina walked to her bed and sat on her side of the bed. Emma followed. Regina crossed her arms. "Are you sure you have to go? A months a long time."
Emma sat on the bed next to her and out an arm around her wife. "It'll fly. I'll be back before you know it." Emma said softly.
Regina sighed. "I hope so."
Regina closed her eyes and leaned into the blondes side. "I really do hope so."

Sorry it's so short. It's a small chapter leading into a big one. Love you all!!! Xxxx ~ onceuponatime992