Try Harder

Emma held Henry In her lap. He was asleep. The doctor walked out. "Emma Swan-Mills?"
     "That's me." Emma said softly. "Is my wife okay?"
  "Do you want the honest hard truth?" He asked.
   Emma took a breath and nodded.
  "She is very weak. Her immune system is shot, she's underweight, and dehydrated. But- I do believe she will make a full recovery."
   Henry was beginning to stir. The doctor smiled. "You must be the brace man who called 911. You saved your mothers life buddy."
   Henry sat up. "Will she be okay?"
   He nodded. "I believe she will. Thanks to you. You did a good job."
     Henry nodded. "Can we see her?"
   "Soon. She's asleep. We need to get her levels up. We will call you two down as soon as she's awake and her levels are stable." He said.
     "Thank you." Emma said softly.
He walked down the hall leaving the two alone waiting, and waiting.

Emma was the first to see Regina.
She walked in the dim room and sat on the bed. "Hey." She whispered.
Regina looked at Emma. "I-I'm so sorry."
Emma took her wife's hand. "It's not your fault."
Regina squeezed Emma's hand tightly. "I- I was trying."
Emma leaned down and kissed Regina's forehead. "I know. I know you were. I'm sorry I didn't help you."
"H-how's henry?" Regina asked with struggle in her voice.
"He's doing as well as he can right now."
"He'll never look at me the same way again." Regina said softly.
"Thats not always a bad thing love. He is worried. That's all. He was scared."
Regina sighed. "I thought it was the only way."
"I know. I've been there Regina. I've been in that situation. This takes time. And I promise I'll be with you every step of the way from now on Okay?"
     Regina pulled Emma into the bed and Emma laid beside her. Regina curled up and laid next to Emma. She gripped Emma tightly and closed her eyes. "Thank you. For everything."
     Emma rubbed her back gently and kissed Regina's forehead. "I'd do anything for you Regina."

Henry walked into the room slowly. "Mum?"
Regina looked over at him. Emma was asleep next to her.
"Hi sweetie." She said in a whisper.
He walked over to the bed and pulled himself up. "I'm sorry." He said softly.
Regina took his hand. "For What henry? You haven't done anything."
"I shouldn't have said those things to you." Henry said softly.
Regina smiled. "Henry it's okay. It's not your fault. Okay? You do understand that right?" Regina asked.
He looked at the bed. "Why did you do it?"
Regina hesitated and squeezed his hand. "I don't know. I don't have an answer for that. At least not now." She said softly. "I'm sorry Henry. You don't deserve this." She said.
"I love you." He said. "A-and. " he voice broke. "I was scared I lost you. I don't want to lose you Mum!" He cried.
Regina felt tears start to roll down her cheek. "Henry you won't lose me. I'll try my hardest to make sure you don't."
"You always say you're trying." He said.
"I am. I'll just have to try harder." She said through clenched teeth so she could bite back the tears.
She felt Emma stir beside her. Regina shifted on the bed. "I'm sorry Henry. I really am. It's harder than you think."
"I don't care! I just want my mum back!" He said.
Emma was awake now. She sat up. "Henry! Enough!"
Regina felt the tears steam down her cheeks now. She quickly wiped them away.
Henry got off the bed. "I want to go home."
Emma looked at her son. "Henry you-"
"I want to go home!" He yelled. "Now!"
Regina looked at Henry. She closed her eyes and clenched her hands tightly. I'm sorry.