Never Completely

Regina woke up the next morning. She looked around suddenly aware of where she was. She heard a baby cry. Mia. Regina threw her covers off and walked down the hall. Emma looked out of the bathroom. "You got her?"
    Regina nodded and walked to the baby's room. She walked in. "Hey beautiful." She said softly.
The baby blinked up at her. Regina picked up the crying infant. "I missed you." She whispered.
The baby curled close to Regina instantly knowing who she was. Regina kissed the top of the baby's head.
     Regina heard a soft knock on the door. "Come in." She said and turned to face the door.
      Henry opened the door. "Mum. You're back!"
Regina nodded. "Hey baby how have you been? Have you stayed out of trouble?"
    Henry walked in and shrugged. "Have you? Are you better now?"
   Regina smiled. "I'll never be completely better."
   Henry looked down. "Then why are you back?"
   Regina bounced Mia gently. "Because I'm well enough to be back."
He looked back up. "That doesn't mean anything! You were supposed to go get better! Not jut a little bit better!" He started to yell.
"Lower your voice." Regina snapped in a low tone. "I will not have you speaking to me in such ill manner."
Henry glared. "Funny you say ill. Because that's just what you are. Your sick." He snapped and walked out of the room.
Regina walked to the door. Lilac stood in the hall. "You okay?"
  Regina nodded. "He is usually like this with me."
  Lilac shook her head. "Your his mother. He shouldn't speak to you like that."
   Regina smiled slightly. "I'll be okay. This is Mia." She said and walked over bouncing the baby gently.
     Lilac smiled. "She's tiny."
Regina smiled. "She's got a big heart."
Lilac touched the baby's cheek lightly. "Hey sweetie. My name is lilac."
The baby looked at her with wide eyes.
Emma walked out of the bathroom. "I heard snapping. Is everything okay?"
Regina nodded. "Just henry. He and I got into a small argument."
    Emma sighed. "I'll talk to him. You should go eat. And show your guest around the place." Emma said and took Mia into her arms.
    Regina nodded. "Come on. I'll show you the fridge first. I'm starving." She said and led lilac downstairs.
    Regina walked to the fridge. "You can eat anything in the cabinets and the fridge." Regina said and pulled out some eggs. "Do you want me to make you any eggs?"
   Lilac sat down. "I'll make some later."
  Regina nodded and began to make her food.
      Lilac sighed. "This is a great home."
   Regina smiled. "Well thank you."
  Lilac looked at the table. "Why do you get to have it all? Your life is perfect and you are willing to throw it away."
     Regina dropped the spatula. "I'm sorry?" She asked and turned to lilac.
    Lilac looked up. "I'm just saying. You have a family. You have a nice home. A good job. Your life is great and you are messing up." Lilac said.
     Regina looked at lilac. "What brought this up? You know I don't have a perfect life."
     Lilac stood up. "But you do! Your life is perfect and you're going to ruin it!"
     Regina shook her head. "I-" she cut herself off. "Smoke." She whispered and tight on the cue the fire alarm went off.
     Regina was now aware of the smell of burning clothes and hair. She quickly patted her hair to stop the fire and did the same with her clothing. Lilac ran over and pulled the pan off of the stove and turned the stove off.
    Regina looked at her hand where she burned it putting out the fire. She pushed past lilac and walked to the bathroom. Her hair was fried. The long hair She worked so hard to grow out. Her clothing was burned as well. Regina took a deep breath and grabbed a pair of scissors. She looked in the mirror and began to cut her hair.
    Each chop sent a chunk of hair twirling to the ground. She cut her hair until the last bit had fell to the floor.
Her hair that was almost past her waist was now cut slightly above her shoulders and had already startled to curl up. She cleaned up the mess and walked out of the room.
Lilac stood in the hall. "I'm sorry."