Chapter Seventeen

Maggie’s POV

Tiffany snatched my phone out of my hands and read the text, gasping.

“Where is she? I should-“ Tiffany started

“You shouldn’t do anything! This is my problem.” I said, cutting her off.

“No. I’m going to go talk to her.” Cody said, shoving past us.

“Oh, no you aren’t!” I said, grabbing his arm and pulling him close to me.

“Maggie, why not?” He asked.

“Because! I don’t want your friendship with her to be ruined just because of something she said to me. Do you know how bad that would make me feel?” I said into his ear.

“But you’re my friend too, and my friendship with you means more than my friendship with her.” Cody said, smiling.

I felt myself smile a little bit because deep down, that actually meant a lot to me.

I saw Cody look past me and he frowned.

“Well, there she is. I’ll be right back.” He said, brushing past me.

I watched as he made his way over to Kylie.

He tapped her shoulder and she turned around and hugged him.

I looked closely and he didn’t hug her back.

She let go of him and I watched Cody’s mouth move as he explained the text that she had sent me, I think.

Kylie was looking over at me now.

Cody looked over at me too and motioned for me to go over there.

I quickly walked over to Cody and Kylie, preparing myself for Kylie to be yelling at me like she did a couple months ago.

Cody doesn’t do anything about it either. He usually just stands there while I’m ready to give up and punch her square in her perfect looking face.

I was now standing by Cody’s side as Kylie glared at me.

“Can I see your phone?” Cody asked me.

I took my phone out of my pocket and handed it to Cody.

The text was already brought up, so all he had to do was shove it in her face.

Kylie read it and she looked at Cody with puppy dog eyes.

“I-I’m sorry, Cody. I didn’t mean for it to be that mean.” She said, fake crying.

“Oh, come on! Even Cody knows you’re faking right now.” I said.

Her eyes snapped towards me.

“Excuse me?” She asked.

“Just quit it. Quit your damn act already, Kylie!” I shouted at her.

“Um, what act?” Kylie asked.

“The act that you’re putting on to try to impress everyone! Give it up. You make everyone believe you’re a little angel, but in reality, you’re snobby and just…rude!” I said.

Kylie gave out a laugh.

“Oh, Cody. Why must you date such horrid animals?” She asked, looking at Cody.

I looked at Cody too.

He looked back at me and shrugged.

“Really? You’re not going to stand up for me?” I asked Cody.