Day 1 continued

At about midnight one of the twins gets a text from her brother (Josh, the fleece boy) saying that Matty and a few other boys are coming to our dorm in 5 and they need our help to sneek them in. There's always one instructor who sleeps in a cabin next to the teen cabins to make sure nothing goes on. Tonight it's Reggie, a chilled out guy from London who basically said that as long as we don't wake him up, we can do what we like - the perfect opportunity.

The twin who got the text was Katie, the shyer of the two. She had squealed and whispered something to her sister, Emily, so I asked what was up. "The boys! The good-looking ones! they're coming here in 5 minutes!" Shit, I thought. I'm wearing no makeup and a night shirt and that's it! So I quickly put on some foundation to cover the worst of the spots and threw on an Arctic Monkeys top and some shorts. We heard a soft knock at the door and all our hearts stopped. I answered it, it was Matty! "Hey gorgeous, like your top" he winked then walked in and spun around with a grin "Where shall I go?" I looked around... Jamie was on her bed, the twins were on theirs and Meg was on hers, so that leaves mine! "Umm... Mines over there?" I said and gestured to the bunk beneath Jamie's "Perfect!" He said and flopped down on the thin mattress just as I heard another knock and a deep voice say "It's George, Adam and Charlie! let us in!" I forgot for a moment who Charlie was, but then concluded that he was the one Jamie was chatting to about FIFA earlier. I opened the door slowly and let then in, they barged past me and began laughing and chatting with Matty and I immediately felt like the boys would have no interest in us and only in talking amongst themselves. Luckily I was wrong.

"Right! okay so all that get-to-know-each-other bullshit today was fucking stupid, am I right?! So let's actually get to know each other properly!" he paused a second while we all considered what he might mean by this... "Truths!" he announced. There was a mixed reaction to this... most of the boys laughed and cheered in agreement but a few of the girls were hesitant. "Right, right, right.. okay! George! First time you had sex?" Oh god. I felt a pang of dread at this question. Every year I'm asked this and every year I lie, I'm a virgin. "Umm.." says George slowly "When I was 15 to a girl called Molly... In her car..." He'd mumbled this last bit and Matty had began to hysterically laugh
"Her car!" He shrieked, banging his fist on the floor. George smiled "She was 17, alright!" He'd seemed proud and embarrassed at the same time. We had all laughed a bit but mostly because Matty's laugh was so infectious "AND tell them who she was!" said Matty through his tears laughter "...Ross's sister" said George quietly. Everyone laughed and Ross rolled his eyes and sighed.
"Riiiiight!" said Matty, still giggling a little "Lets have a girl... Holly? Wait can I call you Hols?"
"Yeah you can call me whatever you like!" I heard myself saying. there were a few oooo's from the boys "Alright Hols, first time you had sex?" I have this story prepared, it's been my lie for a year now "A year ago... at this camp, this name was Rob and it was in his cabin on break-time" Jamie looked shocked, i figured i'd tell her later that it was a lie. I said it shyly so that it would seem more true "Ooo..." said Matty cheekily "So I'm right in thinking that shit goes down at this camp then?" he looked excited and had a funny look in his eye "Yeah, it can do" I smiled cheekily back at him and wondered what I meant by that. We carried on around the circle and I discovered that most people were honest about their virginity, this made me feel a little stupid for lying. Jamie said she'd done everything but sex which was true as her and her ex, Kyle, had pretty much based a 9 month relationship on doing everything they could without having actual sex because he was religious and didn't believe in it before marraige. We'd gone around the circle and nobody had a particularily interesting story and out of 10 of us, 4 were virgins if you didn't count me. Then it got back to Matty. He said he lost his at Reading Festival when he was 16, only a year ago now which to be honest had really suprised me! He said he was off his face and had no idea what she looked like or how it was, but i don't know how true that is.

"Right!" he'd said "I need a fag, anyone coming?" The twins and Jamie seemed shocked that he'd smoke here, I mean obviously it's against the rules, but I was used to waiting in the dark while people smoked although i'd never done it myself. "I'll come!" I'd heard myself saying "Hols, you smoke? Didn't think you were the type!" he said, sounding genuinely surprised, everyone looked at me then "I social smoke" I'd lied "So I'll join if, you know, others are" there was a pause before Matty said "Yeah sure totally come...George?"
"Nah I'm alright mate" he looked at Jamie "I think I'll stay" then he gave Matty a small wink and Jamie blushed.

We opened the door and crept out into the dark, cool night. "Where do you even go to smoke here?!" he whispered "Follow me" I whispered back. We ran across the damp grass bare footed, hand in hand as I lead him to the boat shed, the prime smoking location. We ran past the cabins and into the woods, running and laughing down the path to the moonlit lake ahead. the shed is built directly onto the lake and has a small wooden walkway inside which is between the two spaces for boats to moor. The doors facing the lake were open so I knew we could sit at the end of the walkway and dangle our feet in the lake while looking out. I pushed the wooden double doors open and we tip toed onto the wooden walkway and sat there for a moment. "Sweet of you to come, babe" he whispered, his hand still in mine "Anytime" I said and I meant it. I stayed there for a while and watched him smoke, he made it look so beautiful the way the silky clouds of it caught the moonlight and I could tell that this was one of the things he was best at and that he'd been doing it a while. "Started smoking when I was 11" he said as if to answer my thoughts "Guess I'm just addictive, that's my personality" he sounded so sad all of a sudden, I didn't know what to say "I'm scared of what I'll get into to be honest... I already do... but what am I on about? you don't wanna know about me and my problems..." I stay silent. I do want to hear more about him but I don't know how to word it so I simply rest my head on his shoulder and we look out at the lake in blissful silence.