Day 5 continued

As she approaches I can tell by her face that we're really in shit now. She walks briskly, like a soldier, her body tense and upright. She looms over us
"Stand" she says in a harsh posh accent. She looks about 100. We do and she looks us up and down "Holly Marsh and Matthew Healy?"
"Yep" says Matty grimly
"Less of the attitude, please" she snaps. Oh god, here we go.
"Um, I wasn't aware I had any attitude?!" Matty snaps back, with a sarcastic smile
"Don't try that with me" she says, haughtily "I worked in young offenders institutes for 10 years"
"Oh, so I'm a young offender now?! You know nothing about me!" Matty's shouting now
"I have all the information I need, young man! Your clothes, your hair, your attitude and the fact I'm here about your use of marijuana!"
"I'm sorry - my clothes and my hair?!"
"Yes, you look like a homeless man with those rips in your jeans... and button your shirt up you're not at a rave! Is that a women's shirt?"
"What does it matter if it's a women's shirt?!"
"It's inappropriate - you can see right through it!"
"Look" I pipe up "what does it matter what we look like - just do your job and take us to the site manager!"
"I beg your pardon!"
"Why are you causing an argument just take us to him!"
"Unbelievably rude" she mutters as she marches us up to the Manor. Me and Matty hang a little back from her and I take his hand
"Sorry, Hols" he says, still fuming a little "I fucking hate being patronised like that, you know? People making you feel small and stupid just cus you're not like them - people sterotype me all the fucking time Hols and it just can't deal with it" he runs his fingers through his hair and sighs, he looks so sad. I give his hand a squeeze and kiss him lightly on the cheek.

When we get to the manor we are led down a maze of dingy corridors to the offices in the basement. I don't know why they put the offices down here, the air is heavy and the rooms are dimly lit and oppressive. We are told to sit on a manky old sofa outside her office and wait. We are to fill in our 'offence slips' with her then meet with the site manager to discuss our punishments. The room reminds me of an underground bunker from world war 2. There is a basic wooden desk, a framed photo on the wall of a royal-looking family from the 18th century surrounded by spaniels, a dead potted plant on a shelf and a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling by a wire. God, this is grim. it's freezing down here, too, as if the heat doesn't want to come down here either.

"Enter..." comes the awful voice
"...If you dare" whispers Matty and we giggle. We sit on the other side of an equally basic desk in an equally vile room. Her chair is considerably higher than ours, clearly designed to make us feel even more inferior than we already do.
"Right. So. There's a form needs filling in. I'll read out the questions and you two give me the answers. It's a statement for our records - just to log everything you've been up to so we know what to do with you... Right..." she pulls out the sheet of paper from a drawer and places her glasses on the end of her nose.
"Matthew Timothy Healy" Matty looks a little embarrassed at the sound of his full name
"Yes?"
"You were banned from Mill Hill Summer Camp for what exactly?" you can tell she knows the answer, she just wants to hear him say it
"For the use and possession of cocaine. I did some community service and I'm off that shit now, okay?!" I never knew he did community service!
"No need to curse, young man." she says curtly "Holly Rachel Marsh"
"Mmhmm" I say reluctantly
"Pardon?"
"Yes?!" I snap "sorry..."
"I should think so... have you ever been in trouble with the law?"
"No, never" I say flatly
"Good. It seems to have all gone a little awry for you, dear" I glare at her. Why is she calling me 'dear'?! "Has Matthew ever tried to persuade you to do drugs?"
"No" I say quickly
"So you have never done drugs as a result of meeting him?"
"I have... but it was my choice he never persuaded me"
"Hmm" she says doubtfully
"I fucking didn't!" Snaps Matty, jumping to his feet
"Excuse me young man I-" she starts outraged but before she can finish a man bursts in the door. He's good looking, blonde with a little grey and tanned and muscly. He looks like he's probably in his 30s, he wears a white work shirt unbuttoned at the top and jeans.
"Rose?" he says "what are you doing?"
"I'm dealing with your troublemakers here, Neil! But this boy just verbally abused me! Will you stand for this?!"
"Absolutely not." he says "I think they'd better come straight to me. Can I have that sheet?" Rose passes it to him and we follow him one floor up to some more corridors - these ones considerably nicer. He opens a big wooden door and gestures us into a large room with yellow walls which couldn't be more different from the ones downstairs. It has an almost panoramic view of the lake and surrounding fields and the hills, forests and mountains beyond.
"Sorry about her" he says in a friendly tone "the old hag insists on filling in 'offence forms' when they're really completely unnecessary" he rips the paper and throws it in a nearby bin then he gestures us again to two sofas facing each other at the corner of the room, the table in between has fresh flowers in vase on it. He sits on one and us on the other.

"So" he says "weed"
"Yep" says Matty and smirks a little
"I've dabbled it in myself, on my gap year you see, I did India! And god do you need some pot to get through that! I get it, okay? You're young and all that but it's unwise to do it here - you'll get caught and I'll have to report you... it's just all a lot of paperwork for me!" he laughs a little "we do a 3 strikes and you're out rule, so you've had one and you'll be washing up tonight after dinner... just don't do it again, okay?" We both sit there, amazed! "By the way, like the shirt" he says to Matty
"Cheers" says Matty slowly, he seems a little suspicious "so we're not getting sent home?!"
"Nope, not unless you wanna be?" he laughs and so do we a little
"Oh and another thing. Sex. Rumor has it you two are at it?" Oh my god this is so embarrassing
"We genuinely haven't had sex!" I sound like too hasty, like I'm lying
"Okay" he says sarcastically and holds out a bowl of various condoms "just - so that I don't have to fill in a potential pregnancy form - take some of these? However many you want, I won't judge! in fact I'll leave the room, I need to go see Rose... Excuse me a second guys" he leaves and me and Matty grin at each other
"Is this happening, Hols, or am I fucking dreaming!?" we hug and kiss and look back at the bowl "you pick then, Hols!" I laugh and pick every flavoured one they have - a chocolate, tropical, lemon and lime, vanilla and a handful of plain ones too. We put them in Matty's bag and wait for Neil to come back. When he does he simply says we're off sessions for today as part of the punishment and we have to stay in or around the pavilion. He says we can go back to our dorms for half an hour then we need to be at the pavilion to meet him by 1pm. We agree and run out of the Manor hand in hand, so relieved and feeling so free.

When we get back to the dorms we find our bags packed up outside my dorm with a note on top:

"Dear Holly (and Matty)
We have packed up your stuff for you to leave. If by some miracle you're not leaving then please move to a different cabin. Number 31 is free for you.
Your Roommates"

Although I'm insulted I'm also excited... sharing a dorm with Matty! I couldn't have asked for more! We walk to his dorm so he can 'borrow' basically all of George's possessions; his shampoo, his shower gel, his laptop, a couple of his shirts, his razor and the remaining drugs from behind the wardrobe. We open the cabin door and find it has a bunk bed, a single bed and an en suite with a shower AND a bath. We dump our stuff down and peek into the bathroom. Matty glances at the bath
"Fancy a soak, Hols?"

________________________

STOP!

Follow me and vote for this if you're
Liking this! Also suggest it to friends as I'm trying to reach 1000 reads and I'm only 200 off my goal! We can do it guys!

I always write this while listening to their music, some of their older stuff is so beautiful I only found it in the last few months! 'Antichrist' might be making an appearance in this book some time soon...;)

Thank you, love you!xxx