Day 4 continued

After a couple hours of swimming and lounging about in the sun we are called for lunch. We dry off and dress then walk to the canteen, me and Matty far behind the group as usual. When we arrive at the canteen there is a huge queue stretching around two sides of the building. The camp always gets more full as the days go on as more school groups and groups wanting a shorter stay than 2 weeks arrive. After queueing for what feels like a year we finally get our sandwiches. Me and Matty go outside to eat because it's way too crowded inside. Ross, Jamie, George, Adam and Sally follow us out but sit a distance away from us on the small grassy mound outside. I wonder if it bothers Matty that his friends are avoiding him... maybe he knows why Jamie's annoyed... George could've told him?

"Why are they avoiding us?" I ask him "Jamie's being really weird with me and I don't know why... Has George spoken to her or...?" He takes a bite of his sandwich and chews it, thinking

"I dunno if I'm meant to say, Hols" he mumbles "You should just take it up with her to be honest"

"Did she talk to George about it? Is that how you know?"

"Yeah... last night we were talking about how he's getting on with her and he said she just started crying at Thorpe Park about it... but look, just take it up with her I'm not gonna be some messenger for you" he sounds irritated, I feel bad for pushing him. He lights a cigarette and takes a pull

"Sorry... I wasn't trying to... I just wanna know why she's annoyed! We've had bickerings before but never a fight and I just don't want to upset her" I think of her crying to George about me and feel so guilty. I glance in her direction, she's kissing George and chatting and doesn't even look my way... she can't be that upset, surely!

"It's alright, babe" Matty says as he exhales "I get it" he smiles and kisses me lightly on the lips.

After a little while Ally shows up with another equally over-enthusiastic instructor "Riiiight guys! this afternoon you'll be orienteering! your instructor is Kathy here! everyone say 'hi Kathy'!" Again, Ally gets no response so sighs and hands us over. Orienteering is a great activity if you get a good partner because you can basically wander about the site pretending to look for the points on the map, find maybe 2 then make up some bullshit about how you 'got lost' giving you lots of time to talk, sunbathe and explore the site! Obviously I want to be with Matty for this reason.

Kathy does a speech about not wandering too far, sticking with your buddy ect. And tells us that the winners will get a big bar of chocolate. We pair off, Me and Matty together. I can tell this is gonna be good. We are given a small laminated map with the points marked on and a dodgy old compass. All the other pairs run off and start frantically planning a strategy, even Adam and Ross seem motivated by the prospect of a bit of Cadburys!

"Jeez, why are people so desperate to get a bit of chocolate, it's so stupid!" Matty laughs

"I have something better than chocolate anyways" he whispers in my ear and then kisses me quickly on the cheek, opening the front pocket of his leather backpack to reveal his vast array of drugs I sampled yesterday, I'm not too keen to do coke again, my experience from yesterday has put me off it!

"No coke for me" I say "I didn't really get on well with that yesterday"

"Oh" he says, he sounds disappointed

"I'll do something else" I add quickly "just not coke" his eyes brighten again and he roots around in the pocket as we walk, mumbling things to himself like 'nope', 'maybe', 'err... no'. I'm suddenly conscious that we'll get caught with this stuff "don't do that here! We don't want to get caught!" I fasten the pocket shut and he moves his hand away quickly

"Good thinking, Hols" he says as he puts his arm round me and kisses me on the cheek.

We walk aimlessly to a part of the woods I haven't been to yet this week. A small path runs through straight and tall trees with lush green leaves. As we walk I look at him, the curve of his neck, his jawline, his brown eyes, the tiny dimple in his chin all of which are illuminated by the dappled golden light through the trees. I have never been this happy, felt this free or loved before! at least not loved in this way - this is a devoted, passionate love as well as a friendship - I couldn't have asked for anything more!