1. The familiar feeling of hangover

The feeling of a hangover is probably the worst. It felt like a huge elephant sat on my head, and it didn’t sit still it. Actually it felt more like that there was an elephant jumping on my head. What the hell was I thinking last night? I usually knew better than drinking so much. As I thought about it I found out that the whole night was kind of a mess. I had big issues focusing and after a while I simply just gave up. Some more sleep would probably help the headache so I slowly started relaxing and fell asleep soon.

When I woke up the next time I actually felt a bit better. My eyes stayed shut, I knew that the sun shining through the window would hurt as hell. Suddenly I became aware of the soft snoring beside me. Quickly I remembered that I wasn’t in my own bed.

“Fuck,” I said and surveyed the room. Obviously it had been a wild night, because my underwear was thrown up and was hanging in the lamp. What the fuck? I took it down and put on my clothes as fast as I could. To avoid awkwardness I would have to get out before he was woken up. I took a moment to look at the guy lying in bed.

I must have been pretty wasted last night, because there was nothing about his face that I remembered seeing before. Not that I wasn’t used to not remembering who I went to bed with. I snuck out and took a cab home. I tried to fix my hair when I discovered the huge mess it was, but the hairspray from last night was making it difficult. My eyes had black circles around them because of the mascara that had been rubbed through the night.

With other words I looked like I had a pretty rough night, which was kind of true. The headache at least told me so, even if I didn’t remember anything. I locked up the door and tried to be as quiet as possible. Waking up Anna wasn’t a good idea. Just as I was looking for aspirin for my head I heard something behind me.

“Doing the walk of shame are we?” Anna said. Before I could stop myself a low scream came. I turned around and looked at her. To finally being independent and not having to follow rules that parents created I felt really like a child that had done something wrong.

“Nope, just the walk of trying to get breakfast,” I said and opened the fridge to find something to eat. Nothing there tempted me so I closed it again.

“Where were you?” Anna asked and I could feel her eyes burning on my skin. Why was she acting like my mother? I moved out for a reason, not only because we were going to college somewhere else but because of the freedom.

“I was with a friend,” I said and avoided her eyes.

“What was his name?” she said and assumed that it was a boy. Not that she wasn’t right, but it annoyed me that she had such a judging tone. The only problem was that I had no idea what his name was so I just let the question be unanswered.

“What are your plans today?” I asked changing the subject. For a moment I thought she wouldn’t let it pass but she seemed to give up and just look at me.

“I’m not sure yet, how about yours? I suggest a shower,” She said and smiled at me. I smiled halfheartedly back at her.

“Shower and hairdresser,” I said and drank some water. She gave me a surprised look.

“Nothing major, just need to get rid of some hair,” I said and headed for the shower.

When I got out I laid in bed for some hours just to catch up some of the sleep I had lost during the night. Not long after I went to the hairdresser to get a haircut.

“Are you sure you want me to cut it this short? I think it would be lovely, because your beautiful curls would come to life, but very few girls with as long hair as you want to cut it,” the hairdresser said and smiled at me.

“Go for it,” I said.

“You look incredible,” She said and let her fingers slide through my curls while admiring her masterpiece. My long hair that earlier had reached the middle of my back now barely touched my shoulders.

Beautiful wasn’t the word I would have chosen to describe it, I would have used different. The hair that had been weighing heavily on my shoulders was now playful and wavy.