16. Trying to avoid disaster

“Monica?” a voice rang behind me. I tried to sweep the tears away from my cheeks as I took a deep breath and turned around. But as I faced the one standing behind me the tears filled up in my eyes again. I tried desperately to blink it away, but it wasn’t working.

“What’s wrong?” Harry asked with concerned eyes. He was moving towards but I stopped him holding my arm to his chest so he wouldn’t have the opportunity to take me in his arms. I could easily tell that he’d been drinking, but he wasn’t anywhere near drunk.

“I can’t do this,” I said with a voice that was shaking so bad that I had a hard time understanding myself.

“Do what?” Harry asked looking even more confused than when he saw me. I almost held my breath as a thousand thoughts were swirling around in my mind.

“This… I can’t do it,” I repeated.

“Do what, Monica?” He asked more eager for an answer now.

“I don’t know! I just can’t!” I answered getting more frustrated. I had no idea what I felt at the moment. I was so torn that I didn’t even manage to hold back the tars.

“Come on, talk to me,” Harry begged while looking at me with pleading eyes.

“Just go…” I said so low that it was hard to hear it. He looked at me with hurt in his eyes.

“Monica…”

“Please,” I said without even baring to look at him. He lingered for one second like he was preying for me to change my mind before he went back into the bar. When he was out of my sight I felt tears starting to run down my face again.

I decided to go across the street and down to the beach. The black ocean somehow calmed me down, and I staid there for quite some time. As I sat there I suddenly realized that I just had the worst break-down in Monica-History. The worst thing was that I didn’t even know where all my emotions came from. They just came, out of nowhere and with no warning. The ocean calmed me, but not my emotions.

Tears were silently streaming down my face. There was no point even trying to stop them. I started sobbing silently into the palm of my hands. After a long time it finally felt like I was out of tears, but there was still an ache in my heart. One ache that was worse than ever before.

When I finally gathered the courage to go away from the soothing sound of the waves I heard someone a bit further away.

Someone that sounded a lot like Harry, but not only like Harry. Like a drunk Harry. There was just like an alarm went off in my head and I hurried up to him. He was standing with some boys I’d never seen. At first I thought they were just talking but I suddenly discovered that they were as wasted as Harry and they were all building up for a fight. I needed to get him out of there now. Considering there was three of them and one of him I knew his changes were to big.

“Harry!” I screamed as I saw him get closer to one of the boys. He immediately stopped and looked at me. Harry looked at me for like a second before he turned back to the huge guy in front of him. This could end really badly.

When I finally reached him I stepped between him and the big guy.

“Sorry, a misunderstanding,” I said and gave the big guy an apologetic look. I tried my best to smile sweetly to avoid any more trouble, but that didn’t exactly work.

“Get out before I hit you first, whore,” He said and were all of the sudden ready to attack me. Before I even had the chance to try to calm him down Harry took a good grip of my arm and dragged me out of the way, so that he and the big guy was facing towards again.

“What did you call her?” Harry asked with a threatening tone. If I hadn’t known Harry better I would have been kind of scared. He was looking pretty dangerous at the moment. Really blowing his chest up with tightened muscles in his arms. The usually sweet and cheeky boy had turned into some dangerous guy that seemed more than ready for a fight.

“You heard me,” He answered. Harry was just about to take the first punch when I took a good grip of his arm. For the first time I really appreciated all the time I’d spent in the gym, because that actually now gave me a least some strength against Harry.

“We’re going. NOW!” I said and dragged him as much as I could away from them.

“Oh, you need your girlfriend to protect you?” One of the other guys asked Harry. I could feel his whole body tense and get ready to lunge. I turned his face around and forced him to look at me.

“Harry, no!” I said slowly with a strict voice. For a moment I could see him struggling with making a decision, but he finally listened to me and started walking along with me.