Chapter 13

"Sadie had no right to be speaking to you like that." Grey fumed as we sped down the freeway. I was clutching the handle on the door for dear life, he was going really fast.

    "Grey slow down." I warned, my voice low and scared.

   "What was she thinking? I gave her everything she has and she is going to treat you and me like she owns us. I dont think so." He said and sped up.

   "Grey." I warned again as we swerved in and out of cars. We had to be breaking a hundred by now. It was dark outside and with my luck a deer could come out of no where at any point now and we would go flying.

    "God, i was stupid to bring you around when I knew she was going to be there. She has never approved of who i like, or who i date. Despite if this is real or not." It wasnt. 

   I gripped the handle tighter. He was scaring me, i wanted out of the car. We took a corner and I thought I was going to fly out of the car.

   "Grey slow down." I warned again but he wasn't hearing me. I don't think he could because he sped up even more. 

    "Im sorry I dragged you there Mari, i'm sorry this happened." He said his voice getting a bit softer.'

   "GREY, STOP THE DAMN CAR!" I screamed and felt the car lurch as he hit the brakes and we skidded to a stop on the side of the road. I sat there, breathing heavily for a minute before realizing we had come to a complete stop.

  I expected to hear the screaming, the yelling as to why I was freaking out, why I was screaming at him to stop the car when it was his car and his decision and how it didn't matter how i was feeling, he wanted to go home.

   "Whats wrong?" His voice came out soft and concerned. Not what I was expecting at all.  I didn't speak for a minute, shocked. My heart was racing and I could feel my body lightly shaking. "Mari." He whispered softly, unbuckling my seat belt. He tugged my hand and pulled me across the seat towards him and into his lap.

   I layed my head on his chest and felt tears well up in my eyes. I didn't want to cry, this was a stupid reason to cry. I hated crying in front of people.

  "Mari, I'm so sorry." He said his voice low. "I didn't mean to scare you." He picked up on the signals. "I was just angry, I didn't think about how fast I was going." He explained and I nodded, still trying not to cry.

  "Its okay." The words left my mouth roboticly. 

   Memories ran through my head and suddenly I was fifteen years old again, sitting on my bed looking at the bruises on my arms and legs. My old boyfriend standing over my bed looking down at me after another fit of rage. 

   "Mari, I'm so sorry." His words were full of lies and hatred. He knew that if he apologized that I would forgive him and the same thing would happen again tomorrow. I would still be sitting here, bleeding and crying once again. 

    I looked up towards his eyes, so dark and full of anger. This is who he was, i knew that when I began dating him. That was the problem, he had anger issues and I loved him anyways.

   "You know this isn't my fault right? If you had just done as I asked, I had a plan Mari. This isn't my fault." It was never his fault, though he never directly blamed it on me, it was always hinted that it was my fault. I did the wrong thing, I picked the wrong option, talked to the wrong person. 

   "I am sorry Mari, you know that right? You know how much I love you, how much you mean to me." He said sitting down and grabbing my hands lightly. I nodded, like always. He loved me, and that was enough for me.