Bus Stop

< Ali's POV >

"It's the right thing to do."

"A is dead, Ali."

"You don't need to hide anymore."

Spencer, Aria, and Hanna were pushing me to come home. We sat on a rusty, cold metal bench waiting for the bus to take the girls back to Rosewood. I was torn. A...Shana...was dead. As far as the liars were concerned, we were safe. But I wasn't sure, not 100%.

Yeah sure, who cares what all the strangers will think. I sure didn't. I didn't care what anybody thought really. Well, except for one person. Her opinion meant the world to me, like her words were a royal decree. If she would stand by me, I would be okay. But she didn't speak. She was silent. Why wasn't Emily talking? Did she not care what happened to me?

I wanted to speak with her. Actually, I needed to speak with her. She had isolated herself all the way on the other side of the bench, silent, and showed no emotion.

I felt nervous. I had become so vulnerable these past 24 hours. "You are Alison DiLaurentis. Just talk to her." I thought to myself as I put up a brave front.

"I'm going to go get a snack for the bus ride." I said, scrambling for an excuse.

"I'll come!" Hanna piped in. Of course.

"Yeah, me too! I'm starving." Spencer complained, as her stomach rumbled.

Aria quietly stood up, to follow the group. But Emily stayed, sitting on the bench.

"Aren't you going to come, Em?" I asked, tilting my head to the side, trying to read what she was thinking.

"I'm fine. I'll wait for the bus." She said quietly, faking a small smile.

"Actually, I'll stay with Em. She shouldn't be alone." I ordered, and I signaled for the girls to go buy their snacks and the convenience store down the street. The girls shrugged their shoulders and trudged towards the store.

Once they were out of hearing distance, I sat myself down next to Em. "Why are you so quiet?" I asked, ask I raised my eyebrows.

"I'm just, um, tired. That's all." She whispered, trying to shut me out.

"So what do you think I should do? Should I come back home?" I asked, playing along to Emily's little excuses. She turned her head slightly, and gazed into my eyes, but said nothing. "I can't wait to see how Hermie's doin. Has he changed?" I said jokingly, trying to make her laugh. But Emily just sat there, looking right through me as if I were a ghost. "Look, Em. I'm really trying here. Why won't you talk to me?" I asked, trying to hide my disappointment.

"It doesn't really matter what I think, does it?" She snapped as she stood up, getting ready to walk away. I looked down at my feet, trying to hide my tears. "No answer. I'll take that as a no." She spat, as she started to walk away.

"Where are you going?" I asked, weakly.

"To the car rental place around the corner. I don't think the bus is coming any time soon." She said as she continued walking.

"Can I come?" I asked, shyly.

"If you want." She replied blankly.

I trudged a few paces behind her. Afraid of what she might say next. Emily had always been sweet to me, not snapping once. But she had changed. I could see that. She wasn't going to take my lies. I could tell.

We rented two small cars. Emily texted the girls to meet us here. While we waited, we sat in the waiting area, silent.

Finally, I spoke. "I meant what I said before." I said softly. I looked straight ahead, avoiding eye contact.

"When?" She asked, in a hushed tone.

"Outside of the barn. I saved you." I said, turning my head to her. "You are my favorite." I smiled, genuinely. She turned her head, and our eyes met. "Your opinion does matter to me, Em." I said, flashing her a small smile. She looked away and sighed.

We sat in silence for a few minutes before Emily responded.

"You should come home, Alison." She said, and gave a little smile. I smiled back, as I looked into her deep, beautiful brown eyes.

Before either of us could say another word, the moment was over. Aria, Hanna, and Spencer crashed into the room, laughing.

"So who wants to drive?" I asked.