I'm Right Here

< Emily's POV >

"Please say something." I whisper.

"Emily." She says softly. My head flies up and I watch as her eyes flutter open slowly. Tears fall from my face involuntary as I realize she woke up.

"Baby I love you so much." I said as I press my lips to hers. As I kissed her, tears streamed down my face. "Baby I love you. I love you. I love you."

"I...lo-" She struggled to speak.

"Shh baby. I know." I said quietly as I ran my fingers through her hair gently. She tried to keep her eyes open but she didn't have the strength. "It's okay, baby. You can sleep. Everything's gonna be alright." I say softly as I rest my hand on her cheek. She closes her eyes and falls back to sleep. "I promise."

- + -

The next morning, I woke up and expected Alison to be awake. But she wasn't. "Good morning, Beautiful." I whispered as I brushed her hair our of her face. "I love you."

I waited for a response, but I didn't get one. Soon, the nurse came by to change the gauze and follow the rest of the hourly routine. I stood up and took Alison's hand.

"She woke up last night." I told her. I didn't know if that was the kind of thing they needed to record or not. "Only for a minute or so, but she did."

The nurse smiled. "That's excellent news! Now we will switch her to a different painkiller, which is less strong." She explains as she pulls a different liquid out of her cart. She draws it up in the needle before inserting it into Alison's arm.

Once she exits the room, I sit down on the edge of the bed to watch her sleep

- + -

Alison started to have short breathes, like she was being strangled. And she was shaking. Before I could react, she screams, "HELP ME!"

"Alison! Alison! Can you hear me?! Baby, what's wrong?" I try to wake her up but it was like she was in a trance.

"I NEED HELP!" She screams, like she was being tortured.

"Hey, baby what's wrong?" I ask, panicking. She just kept shaking with her eyes shut tightly.

"SHE'S GONNA KILL ME!" She screams. The nurses come rushing in and surround Alison.

"She's having a panick attack." One of the nurses say as she pulls out a needle and some strange liquid.

"Wait. I can handle this." I tell them. I didn't want them to just sedate her like a crazed animal. I could calm her down myself. The nurses back away and watch me.

I pull Alison into my arms and hold her like a baby. I brush my hand along the side of her face while holding her still. "Shh baby. It's okay. It's just me."

She starts to calm down, her breathing is slowing. "You're safe. Don't be afraid. I'm right here." I whisper softly. Her breathing goes back to normal and she has completely relaxed. Back to sleep.

I look up and the nurses are stunned that it actually worked. They nod before exiting the room.

"I love you, baby." I whisper in her ear before kissing her forehead slowly.

"Emily?" She says as she quickly opens her eyes and looks around nervously, she broke out of the trance.

"Baby, I'm right here." I say softy. She turns her head to me and sighs with relief. "You're okay." I assure her.

I watch as her face transforms from panick to fear. She begins to cry hysterically and I pull her into my arms.

"Baby, what's wrong? What did you see?" I ask her as she cries into my chest.