The Drive

< Emily's POV >

I was driving with Ali in one car, while Spencer, Aria, and Hanna were in another. We drove at a moderate speed, in the moonlight. I could tell Alison was gazing at me. But I couldn't let her get to me. She broke my heart. I didn't want to give her another chance to hurt me again.

I had one hand on the wheel, and one on the arm rest. I felt Alison grip my hand gently. I didn't react. It was just us alone in a rental car that smelled like a cheap air freshener. It was the perfect time to get some answers from Alison.

"How could you leave me...us? I mean, how could you just walk away from everything and everyone?" I questioned, keeping my eyes glued to the road. Right after I asked the question, Ali lifted her hand from mine.

"It hurt. I knew I had to leave, but it didn't mean it didn't hurt." She explained. "You were the hardest to leave." She whispered.

I didn't know what to say. I knew she was just trying to charm me, sucking me back in, but how could I ignore my feelings? The love of my life had left me, and that destroyed me. I started to break down. I tried to hold in my tears, but it was no use. I pulled the car over and began to cry hysterically.

"Emily..." Alison whispered, worried. The sound of her voice made me cry even more. I had missed every single thing about her, especially her gentle voice. "Em?"

I turned away from her so she wouldn't see me break down. But she gently cupped my face and turned my head towards her. She looked into my eyes and smiled. I tried to calm down, but it was no use. She rested my head against her chest. I held onto her, as if I was going to lose her any second.

"Please don't leave me." I wailed, wrapped my arms around her.

She brushed my hair out of my face and tilted my head up so I could see her. "I'm not going anywhere." She whispered.

It was getting late. And we still had a long drive ahead of us, so Ali suggested we go to a motel to crash. We drove to the closest one, where we met the girls. Ali lead me to one room, and the girls went to the one next door. I sat at the end of the bed and began to calm down.

Ali pulled two oversized t-shirts out of her bag, and handed a grey one to me.

"Thanks." I muttered. I sat there and debated whether I should go into the bathroom to change or not. But before I could decided, Alison had already bagan to take off her shirt. She pulled her top off and revealed her simple black bra beneath. She then took off her shoes, and then her jeans. All she had on was her bra and her matching panties. She slipped into an identical grey shirt and then looked at me, unaware that I had been staring at her the entire time. She flashed a small smile as she walked into the bathroom and shut the door behind her.

I quickly stripped down and then put the grey shirt on. I climbed into the bed. Ali re-entered the room, with her blonde hair falling perfectly. She climbed into the bed with me and slipped under the blankets.

We laid there, facing each other, silent, but comfortably.

"I'm sorry, Emily." She said, sympathetically.

"For what?" I asked.

"Hurting you. I'm sorry for not being a better friend to you. I'm sorry for rejecting you in the locker room. I'm sorry for not opening up to you the way you did to me." She said, genuinely.

"It's okay, Ali." I whispered softly.

"And most of all, I am sorry I didn't show my true feelings." She said, as she leaned in. And before I knew it, she kissed me lightly. I looked at her, confused.

I guess she took my expression as a way of rejecting her, because she hopped out of the bed and hurried to the door. I ran after her and grabbed her by the arm, and swing her around and kissed her again, this time with passion.