Say Something

< Emily's POV >

It's been four days since Alison got shot. She's still in the hospital. And she's still unconscious.

I haven't left the hospital once. One of the girls will go to get me fresh clothes or food. But I just sit in that little plastic chair next to Alison. I'm worried that if I leave, she'll die. And as much as it would hurt me, I wouldn't want her to pass away without me holding her hand and telling her I love her.

The nurse comes by every hour or so to check her stitches and replace the gauze. Sometimes she'll adjust her tubes and wires, but it's all the same to me.

While the nurse was giving Alison medicine through a shot, a painkiller I think, I decided to ask her a question. Usually I just listen to Alison's progress, but there was something I needed to know.

"Can she hear me? If I talk to her. Will she hear me?" I ask as I look at Alison's expressionless face.

"She's aware of everything around her. It's like she's in a long sleep. Sometimes, it will help a person to wake up and heal if they hear their loved ones comforting them." She explains as she peels the gauze away from Alison's gunshot wound. I look away. I didn't want to see how much she was hurting.

We sit in silence for the rest of the time she is there. When she gets up to leave, she smiles at me sincerely. "She seems like a strong girl. Sometimes, she just needs that extra push." I nod and the nurse exits, closing the door behind her.

- + -

After a few moments of silence, I decide to do something I was afraid to do since she got out of surgery. I touched her. Of course I held her hand, but nothing else. I was afraid I would hurt her, or mess up her tubes and wires, or kill her.

I ran my fingertips along the side of her face, her skin was cold. "You're beautiful." I whisper as I tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Even in this stupid hospital gown." I joked as I felt myself tear up. I tried to talk to her normally. I didn't want to talk to her like she was dying, or else she might.

"Do me a favor, Alison. Next time you want to prove that you love me more, try something less dangerous." I try to hold back my tears, but I'm too weak. "Everyone is still here. The doctors said immediate family only. I was almost happy to tell the doctors that I was your wife. Almost." I wipe a tear from my eyes.

"I miss you." I say quietly as I begin to cry hysterically again. "And I know you're right here but you seem so far away." I tell her as I pull a tissue from the box next to her table. "I miss you. And I miss your smile." My voice cracks at the end.

"I know it's hard to fight this. And if you want to let go, it's okay." Tears were streaming down my face at this point. "I love you."

- + -

I wake up and it's dark outside the window. I check my phone. 10:17pm. I sit up in the uncomfortable chair and rub my eyes. I look over at Alison, who is still unconscious.

"Hey beautiful." I whisper as I scooch my chair forward so my knees are touches the edge of her bed.

I hear a knock at the door and the same nurse from earlier walks in. She smiles at me before pulling the covers off of Alison. She pulls Alison's gown up above her waist she she can change the gauze. Neither of us seem to worry about the fact that Alison's girl area is totally exposed.

I automatically turn my head away as she pulls the gauze off. But then I turn my head back around slowly. I wanted to see it. I had to see what Alison was fighting. There is a long line of stitches and the area around it is red.

"Is it infected?" I ask.

"No. It's just sensitive." The nurse explains as she patches Alison back up. Then she pulls Alison's gown back down and pulls the covers back up.

I take Alison's hand as the nurse sticks a needle in her arm, pain reliever.

"How sensitive is she?" I ask as the nurse writes some things on her clip board. "I mean, would it hurt if I hugged her or anything?"

"As long as you're gentle, I don't see why not." The nurse says as she finishes up. She leaves the room and closes the door behind her.

- + -

I sit in my chair and take Alison's hand, interlocking our fingers. I wanted to touch her. I needed to touch her. And I know that she wants to touch me too. It's been four days since our last hug. Four days since our last kiss. Four days since our last conversation.

"If I hurt you, just let me know." I whisper before sliding into the bed with her. I lay on my side and smile at her. "I love you, baby." I whisper in her ear. I wrap one arm around her neck gently. I would have put my hand on her waist, but I didn't want to hurt her.

"I'm right here, baby." I whisper as I nuzzle my head into the crook of her neck. "I'm right here." I repeat quietly before falling asleep.

- + -

The next morning, I wake up exactly how I fell asleep. I hadn't moved and neither had Alison. "Good morning, beautiful." I whiper as I run my fingers through her hair.

It's day five. And everything is the same. I check my phone. A few texts from the girls, asking how Alison was doing.

H: In waiting room w/ your breakfast.

I was starving. I hadn't eating since yesterday morning. I rarely leave Alison, but I needed to eat.

"I'll be right back, baby. I love you." I say softly before kissing her on the forehead.

I hurry out to the waiting area where everyone is sitting. Hanna hands me a bag with a few donuts, a bagel and an apple. Then Spencer hands me a jumbo coffee.

"Thanks." I say as I take the food from them.

"How is she?" Aria asks.

"The same." I respond. "You guys don't have to stay. I know the hotel is expensive and-"

"We're not leaving, Em." Hanna says firmly.

"We're gonna get through this together." Spencer adds.

"Where are the boys?" I ask as I look around. Toby, Caleb, and Ezra were nowhere to be seen.

"Toby and Caleb are at the pool and Ezra is sleeping." Hanna said quickly.

"Okay. Well, I should get back." I say. They all give me hugs before leaving.

- + -

When I get back to the room, I sit back down in my chair and eat. I pull out my laptop from my bag and watch Gossip Girl, Alison's favorite.

"You're missing out, baby. This is your favorite episode." I say as I watch. "Oh wait. This is my favorite." I say as I watch Chuck and Blair hide in the trunk of the limo.

"You're right, Alison. I am big on happy endings."

- + -

It was 10:53pm and I was getting sleepy. There isn't much to do in a hospital room except wait.

I carefully and slowly slide into the bed with Alison and lay on my side. I wrap one arm around her neck and nuzzle my head into her neck. As I felt her cold body, I began to tear up.

"If you decide to go, I won't be mad. If I could take away the pain, I would. Please don't leave me. And I know it's hard, babe, but don't worry. Everything's going to be alright." I whisper as I cried silently. "I don't know what I would do if I lost you. I need to hear your voice. I need to kiss you. I love you so much, Alison." I was crying hysterically. What if she left me?

"Please say something." I whisper.