Back at School

< Aria's POV >

Spencer and I carpooled to school this morning. But I forgot that Spence likes to arrive to school an hour before it actually starts. It gives her time to absorb all the caffiene. I was so tired and I couldn't really think straight. But I did notice something strange.

When Ali came to school, she was completely out of it. She wasn't her usually self. She didn't carry her confident walk and she had no expression in her face or her voice.

"Ali are you okay?" I ask and Spencer started paying attention to the conversation.

"Um, sorry, what?" Ali says, skimming her eyes through the hallway. She kept turning her head, looking up and down the hallway.

"Who are you looking for?" I ask. This wasn't good. Alison never worries about anything but herself. She didn't answer. It was like she was deaf. "Ali!" I shout, trying to snap her out of it.

"Sorry, what?" She says, confused.

"Who are you looking for?" I ask, concerned.

"Emily." She answers simply. What? Why would Ali be so worried about Emily. I mean, they have always been close, but this was getting...wierd. Then we hear laughter booming down the hallway. And down the hall comes Emily and Paige, hand in hand. I looked to Alison. She had a glassy look in her eyes and her eyebrows crunched and lips tightened. But that phase didn't last long. Her face transformed from anger to disappointment. Her eyes were welling up and she was trying to hide her sadness. "I gotta go." She says softly, and then starts running down the hallway.

"Ali wait!" I shout, ditching Spencer by running after Ali. I had to push my way through the crowd. Jeez, being small has its disadvantages.

I chase after Ali all the way into the bathroom, where she just falls to the ground with tears streaming down her face.

"It's over. It's really over." She says into her hands, hiding her tears.

"Ali, what are you not telling me?" I ask, sitting next to her.

"Emily and I had...a moment. And now she is just pretending it never happened. She hates me, Aria." She wailed. I took her into my harms as she cried on my shoulder.

"Emily could never hate you, Alison." I say, trying to soothe her.

"Well she does. I did everything I could to win her back. But she just goes back to PAIGE." She screamed. And up goes her wall. Just like a light switch. She wipes her tears and gets up to check her makeup.

"Ali, are you okay?" I ask, worried.

"I'm fine, Aria. Let's just keep this between us, okay?" I nod my head. "I have some unfinished business to take care of. See you at lunch." She says, and her confident walk was back.