IV. Camalus

Please vote.

Her eyes fluttered open, and she squinted as the sun shined brutally into them

It must be high noon.

She sat up quickly, taking in her surroundings. The forest looked inviting with birds tweeting while small animals ran up trees, and frolic about. Oddly, it was peaceful. Caelia froze, her mind reeling from the previous events leading to her present situation.

Gulping, she urged the drumming in her chest to slow. It continued to pound, swallowing the sounds of the forest. Panic seized her. What happened to the man who tricked her? Did he want her sword? Why was he after her? Suddenly, her stomach growled, bringing her questions to a halt.

Caelia's nose twitched, her nostrils flaring at the mouthwatering scent, riding the air. Her stomach rumbled once more, reminding her of its lack nourishment. There was no point in worrying about what she couldn't control. Besides, she was starving. Gripping the blanket covering her legs, her eyes swept the area. A sigh of relief whizzed past her lips. The blade, it rested on the ground next to her. Tossing the blanket aside, she picked up her broadsword and placed it in her lap. She ran her fingers along the gleaming blade. Now that she thought about it, the man at the shop, he said something strange.

'The sword chooses the wielder.'

What could he tell her about it? Did he know more? Her curiosity pique and her ravenous stomach making itself known, she searched for the napping man.

"Have a seat. You have to be hungry," he said, handing her a bowl of stew. It smelt amazing. Better than the bean soup, they ate at the orphanage.

Caelia grasped the bowl tightly in her hand, waiting for him to snatch it away or to ask for something in return. Her eyes settled on his green ones and her mind became hazy. Was he an enemy? No, he couldn't be. He helped her get away from the merchant. B-but, she grunted massaging her temples. It wasn't worth the headache.

"What is it? Never had rabbit stew before?" he asked, confused.

She hardened her glare. It wouldn't be smart to let down her guard, even if he did help her. She watched as he took a bite of his own stew, and chewed it.

"Go on. It's not going anywhere. It yours eat," he said, gesturing at her.

Caelia fell upon the stew, basking in the delicious flavors exploding in her mouth.

"Have some more," he said with his hand outstretched, waiting for her to pass her wooden bowl. Her eyes bore into his as she contemplated the second helping. She flushed when her stomach growled, answering for her. She passed him the bowl, and waited hungrily for him to fill it up. Feeling his heavy gaze on her, Caelia scarfed the rest of her soup down, barely tasting it. How else would she eat before he took it away? Now that her stomach was full, a contented sigh escaped her lips. She resisted the urge to flop down for a nap. Caelia hadn't been this full, well since never.