XXVI. Divine Tools

Please vote.

Studying the strange instrument, she sighed. How did she end up in the headmaster's office again? It was all that stupid phoenix fault. Well... it did save her, but now she was going to be the weird one again. Things had finally settled down after the incident with Saniyah's father. Now this bird came to claim her in the middle of the classroom. And, what was up with her magic? Why was it acting so strange? And, why didn't Cal come to save her? Would she really have perished under her own magic? Even that wicked lady Donia could've saved her. Instead, it was her friend no sister Saniyah, nearly sacrificing herself to protect the others that forced her into action. Why was everything so complicated? Now summoned to the headmaster's chamber, she hoped he could shed some light on the strange events happening around her.

"I wonder if this black crystal is valuable?" she muttered, studying the numerous clear tubes attached to the black crystal. The crystal was nearly as large as her hand. Why did these tubes connect the vials to the crystal? Could it make drinks?

Scanning the office and not seeing anyone around, she reached out a tentative finger, brushing against the crystal's surface. A low hum filled her mind, and Caelia gasped aloud in shock.

"Wait!" she said, throwing her hands out toward the crystal, her eyes widening in horror. Cracks formed all over the surface, giving off a subtle glow.

"There's no way!" her luck could be so abhorrent! Her heart sank to her stomach as the glow intensified, and the crystal burst.

"No!" she wailed. She could just pretend not to have seen it. Anyone could've came in to take the weird thing anyway. Caelia tried moving away from the headmaster's desk only to realize she couldn't.

"The crystal!" she gasped aloud, "It's still here!" she said breathily, intrigue filling her eyes. The crystal's blackened shards had fallen away and in their place, the crystal glowed a brilliant shade of red. Its glow spilled across the room. Her eyes locked onto its gleaming surface, her pupils dilating as an image began to form within the crystal. Caelia leaned closer her nose nearly brushing the surface, trying to make out the image. Her heart leapt in her chest as broad shoulders came into view, full lips, a straight nose. Something within her propelled the crystal to work faster. She wanted to see his eyes, she wanted—no, needed to see.

"Miss Ninarth, I see you've discovered the Eye of Yinah."

Caelia jerked, pulling away from the crystal at the headmaster's voice.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to. I thought I could get something to drink," she said, waving her hands in front of her as if to ward off the crystal before hurrying to her seat. She blinked rapidly trying to clear the image from her eyes and focus on the headmaster.

"No apologies needed. An inquisitive nature is to be expected. We are all human."

But was she really? She shoved the thought aside and focused on the headmaster.

"The eye of Yinah is a divine tool that allows one to see into the future," Grizif said, sliding his curious eyes over to the girl.

"Adding the tubes and vials to the crystal was an invention on my part," he added. "It allows me to store the prophecies, and observe them later."

"What about what I saw?"

"Unfortunately, yours was an incomplete vision. I did not expect the divine tool to respond to your presence."

"Oh," she said not knowing what to think.

"I called you here Miss Ninarth because of the incident in your elemental arts class."