XI. Hazy Visions

Don't forget to vote.

Sitting on the plush chair, Caelia sunk gratefully into it letting tiredness take hold and sleep join. She meant to close her eyes briefly. She enjoyed the scent of ancient texts, and the new books smell. She briefly wondered would there be any secrets or doodles in the margins of the pages. New wasn't always better. Life never gave her anything she couldn't handle. She was strong, she had to be or she would crumble underneath the weight of it all.

The wind pulled at her hair releasing it from its woven state. The braid no longer binding them, the tresses billowed behind her. The grass was cool to the touch and she couldn't resist laying down to get a full look at the sky. The moon was glorious, it glowed brightly and the stars twinkled performing an eternal dance for their King. This place was peaceful and not worn, torn and barren like Ravana.

She heard a rustle coming from the forest towards her left and she paused. It could be the wind again. Closing her eyes she focused. She was able to pick up the sound of crushing leaves, the sound echoed through her mind as if she was in the forest hiding behind one of the trees. She broke out into a cold sweat once other sounds join the first one.

Wolves!

Caelia turned her heel and began to run. She heard the growls and snarls ring out behind her. What the hell was going on? Scanning her surroundings for higher ground her heart sank. There was nothing. Just open plains. Her only chance of survival lied in the forest. She needed higher ground.

Prepared, it was time to fight for her life.

***

He grumbled as he searched the castle for his little sister. How'd he get stuck babysitting anyway?

They were sitting at the table having breakfast, father insisted that they eat together. Mother and father sat at the head of the table together. Alexey, Luka sat to their father's right, while he and Mari sat to their mother's right. Breakfast was superb as always. Life was a bore. He was always stuck in lessons or keeping an eye on Mari. He ached for adventure. He shuddered to think he'll end up like his older brother.

His celestial blue eyes locked onto his brother. Alexey displayed the perfect mannerisms of the heir to the throne. Ian thought he was like a machine. He wondered if the whispers and rumors bother him. He was old enough to know that the kingdom worried that he had not discover his soulmate. Did it bother him? Sometimes his brother was so cold he suspected that fate did not make him one.

He lowered his eyes in shame at the last thought. Luka told him and Mari that he wasn't always like that. Well, Ian wanted to know what made him that way. His fork froze halfway to his lips. Alexey's cold eyes met his own. He stuffed his fear down. He was afraid of his own brother.