XIII. Goodbyes & Hellos

Please vote.

The remaining time she spent at the inn with by quickly. Even its patrons were on a first name basis with as everyone chatted about her success to the academy's entrance exam. In less than a day's time, she'd be leaving this place and her master behind. She felt queasy at the thought. She hadn't realized how attached she became to Ray. What if she never saw him again? She tossed and turned in the bed trying to get comfortable and empty her hectic mind. Knocking at her door chased away any thoughts of returning to sleep.

"Come in," she hollered rubbing her eyes. The night air slowly seeped into the air playing into the excitement and nerves swarming in her belly. This was it. Taking a deep breath, she exhaled slowly as if her she could expel her anxiety. The door opened with a creak and she smiled as Ray filled the opening.

"I figured you were up," he said stepping over the threshold with eyes scanning the place. He never let down his guard.

"Nerves. I suppose," she said shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly while avoiding his gaze.

"What's to be nervous about? You already defeated one of the best students at the academy," he said sitting at the foot of the bed.

"That's it. I don't want all the attention on me," she moaned into her hands. Blood roared in her ears and burst toward the surface of her skin at her embarrassment. She just wanted to fit in.

"Well girlie, tough shit. You're a nice looking girl when you clean up so people are going to look. And your combat skill ain't nothing to snort at."

"Just remember, follow your gut instinct. You need to start forming alliances. It's okay to be humble but remember you are so much more. You are the--be proud. Warriors are proud creatures. Don't be arrogant, you are meant for so much more."

She stared at him as he quieted studying the subtle change of night sky as a new dawn approached. He was going to say something else. She could feel it. What was he hiding? Regardless, she knew Ray would never harm her. Perhaps he'd tell her in time.

"Look, I want to show you one last move, well you can technically call it two. If you can master this step, you'll be unstoppable." His eyes locked onto hers. They were serious. Eyes that have experience battle and carnage. Her flesh prickled in response. She gave him a sharp nod.

She threw the sheets back and sat eagerly, watching as Ray burned the lantern brighter. A wry smile flashed across her lips. Seemed neither of them were dressed for bed. Both wore traveling clothes.

"Watch me."

Her locked onto him. He wore simple traveling clothes and brown boots. Clean shaven he studied her with sharp green eyes. Not wanting to miss a thing, she froze. This was something important being passed down from master to student. She couldn't disappoint him. Caelia blinked and he was gone. She set her eyes on him. Not wanting to miss a thing. She blinked and he was gone.

"What?" she gasped aloud. The guy was like a sorcerer. "Where did he go?" she said aloud whipping her head from side to side as she crawled forward towards the foot of the bed. Feeling the energy thicken in the room, she jerked her head back and reared back in shock. She squealed as she misplaced her hand and tumbled out of the bed and onto the floor. Ray was resting against her pillow.

Impossible. His movements were impossible to track. Not visible to the eye. How did he? When did he?

"Magic?"

"No girlie. Speed."

She picked herself off the floor observing him through shrewd eyes. The room grew silent. He must took her for a fool!