Chapter 2: Pacifica's problem

Dipper's POV

Dipper watched as Pacifica explained her painful home life. Her face was red with anger at times, and at others, eyes wet with tears. Dipper helplessly did his best to comfort her, putting his hand on her shoulder. She looked up at him, eyes glossy and face slicked with tears. "They do all sorts of horrible things. I-" she closed her eyes and dropped to her knees, tears flowing freely once more.

Dipper wanted to make her feel better but didn't know how. Still can't  talk to girls, he thought. He sat down next to her. The northwest's new house was located on the edge of a cliff overlooking the rest of the small Gravity falls, and Dipper looked Pacifica in the eyes. We'll find a way to help you. I promise."

"We?" Pacifica sniffed.

"Me and Mabel."

For some reason, Pacifica put her head back into her knees and started sobbing again. "Hey, hey..." Dipper once more gently gripped her shoulder

"I was so mean to Mabel. I was mean to everyone. I took my life for granted. I'm so sorry, Dipper. I don't deserve your friendship or your help." She got up, and Dipper felt his hand slide off her arm. "Wait, Pacifica-"

"Stop! I'll find a way to help myself. Just stop caring. You care too much!"

With that, she ran off into the woods back to her house, crying all the way.

Dipper slowly walked home. Pacifica's depart had been...pretty sad, even for him. The brain part of Dipper thought Pacifica didn't deserve his help either, but his heart told him it was the right thing to do. He and Mabel had parents that loved them, and they had plenty of friends. When he thought about it, he realized that Pacifica wasn't who she wanted people to see her as. Inside she must be a sad, misunderstood child that was forced into her snobby attitude by parents who didn't care for her.

He was still thinking about this as he walked into the bedroom. Fresh sheets had been prepared for him and his sister, and Mabel was already in bed, sitting on a propped up pillow and adding pictures to her scrapbook. When Dipper trudged in, she frowned. "Hey bro-bro. Are you okay?"

"Fine." He said, bluntly.

Mabel's frown deepened. "Something is definitely wrong. Mabel is on the case."

She stalked around him, her brow furrowed thoughtfully. "I see, I see," she muttered, plucking a leaf wedged into Dipper's shoe. "All the evidence leads to..." Dipper is a magical leaf being who goes into the woods every afternoon!"

"No, Mabel," he sighed. He looked at his sister, wondering if he should tell her what happened earlier. He sighed once more and began.

At the end of the story, Mabel's eyes watered. "That's so sad!" She cried, flinging her face into her pillow. "Sure, she was pretty mean to us, but you should help her, Dipper! I would help too."

Dipper shut his eyes and turned away. "She said she didn't want our help."

"She only said that because she's feeling guilty! Dipper!" Mabel's lip quivered. "Please help her."

"Fine."